View Poll Results: why can't I get two way communication??

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Connecting new Linux box to existing network

  1. #1
    csmithxy
    Guest

    Connecting new Linux box to existing network

    I am new to the Linux world so please bear with me. I have installed a complete version of Red Hat 7.2 workstation. I am using KDE and have configured my nic card with an IP address. The network that I am connecting to does not use DHCP it has static IP addresses. I can rlogin, ftp and telnet from the Linux box to the other unix network. The network I am connecting to is small only about 4 machines. The problem is that I can not connect from the unix network to the linux box. The problem arose when I was trying to use X server. I wanted to display something from the other network on the Linux box. That is when I tried connecting from the unix box to the linux box. All I get is connection refused. To add to all this info when I installed Linux I chose to not install firewall. So I am at a lose as to what is stopping the communication to this machine??

  2. #2
    Bogler
    Guest

    Re:Connecting new Linux box to existing network

    The problem you are having is due to the xinetd daemon.
    I had the same problem but it was a while back now... basically you have to tell RedHat 7.2 to look for the telnet and ftp daemons when a request comes in from the network.
    It's basically adding a coupld of lines to xinetd.conf (if i remember correctly). Do a man xinetd.conf, look at what's in there then create an xinetd.conf file in /etc and enter your lines for telnet and ftp. Restart xinetd with service xinetd restart and Bpb's yer uncle.

    As i say it was a while back that i did this but i'm pretty sure that's the way to crack it.

    Welcome to GLO ;D

    Bogler

  3. #3
    Bogler
    Guest

    Re:Connecting new Linux box to existing network

    Also, if you installed the default firewall config with RedHat7.2 you may find that it blocks access.
    Try connecting without a firewall - assuming the machine is not on the net

    service ipchains stop

    This may help. One of the other GLO members will be able to shed more light on this area

    Cheers

    Bogler

  4. #4
    JimH
    Guest

    Re:Connecting new Linux box to existing network

    Quote Originally Posted by csmithxy
    The problem is that I can not connect from the unix network to the linux box. The problem arose when I was trying to use X server. I wanted to display something from the other network on the Linux box. That is when I tried connecting from the unix box to the linux box. All I get is connection refused.
    Can you connect from the unix box to the linux box at all or is your problem just with X?

    How are you trying to connect to the linux box?

    Jim H

  5. #5
    csmithxy
    Guest

    Re:Connecting new Linux box to existing network

    Quote Originally Posted by JimH
    Quote Originally Posted by csmithxy
    The problem is that I can not connect from the unix network to the linux box. The problem arose when I was trying to use X server. I wanted to display something from the other network on the Linux box. That is when I tried connecting from the unix box to the linux box. All I get is connection refused.
    Can you connect from the unix box to the linux box at all or is your problem just with X?

    How are you trying to connect to the linux box?

    Jim H
    I can connect to the unix platform from the linux machine without a problem, using FTP, telnet or
    rlogin. I looked at the xinetd.conf file and I didn't see ftp or telnet. I know how to modify the file
    but I don't know what to put in there to enable ftp, telnet and Xserver???

  6. #6
    Bogler
    Guest

    Re:Connecting new Linux box to existing network

    If i remember correctly the xinetd.conf file is blank in RH7.2.
    The best thing to do is to do a

    man xinetd.conf

    and look at the example file (if there is one) add the lines for telnet and ftp to your file and restart the service.

    This should do it, i'm not sure about the xserver issue i.e. exporting a display from a unix machine to your linux machine.

    The reason for the blank xinetd.conf file is that it was deemed to be a security problem with users have services running which were potential backdoors.

    Regards

    Bogler ;D

  7. #7
    JimH
    Guest

    Re:Connecting new Linux box to existing network

    Quote Originally Posted by csmithxy
    I can connect to the unix platform from the linux machine without a problem, using FTP, telnet or
    rlogin. I looked at the xinetd.conf file and I didn't see ftp or telnet. I know how to modify the file
    but I don't know what to put in there to enable ftp, telnet and Xserver???
    Do you have telnet or an ftp server installed? It doesn't sound like it.

    If you have telnet installed it is disabled by default. You need to set "disable= no" in /etc/xinetd.d/telnet.

    Did you check and make sure there isn't a firewall running blocking access? Have you changed /etc/hosts.deny to block all access to the linux box? What command are you using to try and connect to X?

    Jim H


Similar Threads

  1. help connecting to a windows network
    By Bujar in forum Ubuntu / Debian
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-29-2008, 09:12 AM
  2. Connecting Wirless Router to Existing Switch?
    By codemonkey2007 in forum Linux - Hardware, Networking & Security
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-20-2007, 10:32 PM
  3. how to setup up raid in existing linux box
    By marco in forum Linux - General Topics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-30-2004, 08:12 PM
  4. Connecting through L2TP under linux
    By eyalben in forum Linux - Hardware, Networking & Security
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-13-2003, 09:26 AM
  5. Connecting to WinXP from Linux
    By cybspur in forum Linux - Hardware, Networking & Security
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-11-2002, 03:51 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •