Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

"Gentoo Linux"!? This thing looks like it rocks! What do you think?

Thread: "Gentoo Linux"!? This thing looks like it rocks! What do you think?

beatlejuice321

"Gentoo Linux"!? This thing looks like it rocks! What do you think?

http://www.gentoo.org/index-about.html

Check out the above site! My friend sent this to me, it sounds pretty cool. But i have yet to try it, I was wondering if anyone else has, and what they thought?

The use of Portage to install packages for your ebuild with a single command (like the Debian "aptget" command i guess) it pretty interesting stuff.

Let me know what you think!

;D-Beatlejuice

Re:"Gentoo Linux"!? This thing looks like it rocks! What do you think?

Looks ok, might try it.

Whats it based on??
    or is it a from scratch?
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

JimH

I downloaded the ISO when 1.0 was released, but I never had time to install it. :'( I think there is a newer version out now. I will have to look again.

Jim H

beatlejuice321

I don't think its based on anything, pretty much from scratch as I understand it.

x0xCRIZx0x

Hi folks. After reading this thread, I decided to give Gentoo a shot. I downloaded the gentoo-i686-1.1a.iso file (since I have a P4) which contains prebuilt systems in different stages. There are three different stages, and I opted to install a prebuild system (as time constraints was a factor). More on this link: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/build.html

I am currently posting this from my spanking new Gentoo box ;D
    Couple of thoughts:

- Gentoo's docs online was easy to follow, and they pretty much walk you through the installation. They left out anything about partitioning your drive (using fdisk). I guess they figure you have no business installing their distro if you don't know how to partition a drive

- If you've configured linux through config files (rather than fancy guis), then you will need those skills. Also, one must have compiled a kernel sometime in their linux career, since this is one of the steps in installation (optimized baby!). Anyway, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone not comfortable with cli. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone not in touch with their hardware either

- Did I say I had some time constraints? Well, that went out the window with the time it took to get a fully functional system (with KDE ). emerge takes some time, since it's building everything from scratch. What's nice is you have a "rpm --test" type test to see which other packages needs to be installed to satisfy dependencies. Downloading the files is not an issue, since I have broadband.

- I liked the fact that they have an ebuild script for nvidia drivers, which made it easier than dowloading and building it myself.

I've yet to get down and dirty with portage, Gentoo's package management system, but it looks promising from what I've read in the site. Also, I have yet to uninstall packages yet, so I will have to see how that works out.

Two thumbs up for Gentoo! 8)

Hamking

"gen TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"

beatlejuice321

Thanks for the post and info ChOcObO! I am looking forward to trying it myself soon.

-Beatlejuice

x0xCRIZx0x

Quote Originally Posted by beatlejuice321
    Thanks for the post and info ChOcObO! I am looking forward to trying it myself soon.

-Beatlejuice
    No problem. Btw, when you get the system up and running (with a base system but no desktop manager) I would wait until before you go to sleep to do "emerge kde" or "emerge gnome" (whichever you prefer), as it will take HOURS for it to finish. But it's well worth it for the optimized installation (feels faster for me, but then it could all be in my head)

Quote Originally Posted by ch0c0b0
    No problem. Btw, when you get the system up and running (with a base system but no desktop manager) I would wait until before you go to sleep to do "emerge kde" or "emerge gnome" (whichever you prefer), as it will take HOURS for it to finish. But it's well worth it for the optimized installation (feels faster for me, but then it could all be in my head)
    *KDE emerges from hiding and says to ch0c0b0: "Its all in your head...."
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

x0xCRIZx0x

Quote Originally Posted by alastair

*KDE emerges from hiding and says to ch0c0b0: "Its all in your head...."
    lol