Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

loosing hair here...at young age. help!

Thread: loosing hair here...at young age. help!

Particle CN

loosing hair here...at young age. help!

I have a problem with my modem being recognised in Mandrake 8.2. It is a Gateway Telepath X2 made by US Robotics. The US Robotics model number is a Sportster 0478. It is jumperless and is recognised by the ISA PnP utility in linuxconf. It is not assigned to a com port. What I need to know is how to set this thing up so I can get on the Internet.

PS> I'm feeling really dumb right now as I have just taken the red pill and the Winblows blinds have been removed from my eyes and I am lost in the real world of computing... UNIX [linux]

yup - I'm a newbee so if posible be patient with me

Re:loosing hair here...at young age. help!

do you have a /dev/modem file?

$ll /dev/modem

if yes, then the modem is recognised and you can set it up.
    Im assuming youre using kde, just run kppp (it should be named Internet on the desktop) and hit the setup button. Choose the modem device as /dev/modem

that should do it

Alastair
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

Particle CN

where exactly do i look for the /dev/modem file? ???

Spot

Please do not post the same thing to multiple topics, it's just not necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle CN
    where exactly do i look for the /dev/modem file? ???
    In a terminal window, type ls /dev/modem. If it exists, you should be able to run Kppp or whatever to get an internet connection running. However, I beleve the modem you're attempting to use is a winmodem(cheep ass software based modem designed for use with winders). If indeed that's the case, check out http://www.linmdems.org for more info about possibly getting it to work. I can't say for sure that model is supported or not, but you might get lucky.