Thread: Help a Newbie w/ KDE screen size and configure problems!

beatlejuice321

Help a Newbie w/ KDE screen size and configure problems!

Ok, I have been using Mandrake 8.1 on my main system. But have recently built and installed "Slackware Linux" on a second computer.

Everything went fine and I used "xf86config" to configure X after installation. This went fine as well, I am using a Geforce 2 Ti and used the standard "NV" driver for X.

But... When is issue the command "Startx" and begin by KDE session my screen always loads "off center", like my desktops to big for my monitor. When KDE is completely loaded up, I can only see a fraction (about 1/4 of the desktop) on my screen. But when I move my mouse the screen automatically scrolls (up or down) the desktop to allow me access to the entire thing! I don't get it, how do I fix this?

Note: Again I am using Slackware 8.0, a 17" Daewoo monitor, KDE 2.1.1. Kernal 2.2.19, Xfree86 4.0.1 (I think), on a newer Athlon 1.3Ghz system.

If anyone can give me some pointers or ideas I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!

:

Re:Help a Newbie w/ KDE screen size and configure problems!

first i would download and install the linux drivers from the nvidia website
    www.nvidia.com

i think the problem is with the resolution of the card. try setting it to something larger like 1024x768
    also, using XFDrake (not sure about the caps) may give better results

Alastair
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

beatlejuice321

Re:Help a Newbie w/ KDE screen size and configure problems!

Ok, I figured it out. I was messing around with the xf86config program again. And a friend and I discovered that there is an option when you manually select video color depths and default resolutions, for you to select this "virtual sliding desktop" thing. Anyways, if you select not to use this option, your desktop is only as big as your monitor, as it should be. Its wierd how xf86config assumes this option as a default though.

Anyways thanks for you tip, I appreciate any suggestions with frustrating problems like these!