Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Cannot configure my dsl

Thread: Cannot configure my dsl

bleeding toejam

Cannot configure my dsl

If anyone can help me I sure would appreciate it. I just installed Mandrake 8.2. I am a first time linux user, and I cannot for the life of me configure my dsl connection. I am wondering if my windows installation on another partition could have something to do with it? Also I would like to know how to access compatible files on a different partition. Can they be shared between windows and linux?

All hail MEATFACE------------------------------???

Spot

Re:Cannot configure my dsl

If anyone can help me I sure would appreciate it. I just installed Mandrake 8.2. I am a first time linux user, and I cannot for the life of me configure my dsl connection.
    we can certainly try, but we'll need more information first. What modem(+internal or external), NIC, etc are you using?
    What have you tried so far?
    I am wondering if my windows installation on another partition could have something to do with it?
    Unlikely, unless it's not releasing your IP or something before it shuts down.
    Also I would like to know how to access compatible files on a different partition. Can they be shared between windows and linux?
    Yes they can, but doing so depends on the filesystem in use under windows. If you're using fat-32, you'll be able to have read/write access to the windows files. If it's NTFS, you'll only be able to have read access.
    I can't tell you atm how to do it because I don't know which you're using.

bleeding toejam

I am running windows me, under a fat 32 file system.
    As for the dsl, I have an external modem, it is made by Gnet.
    I have only used the network wizard a few times to try and set it up. No luck. Thanks for the help.

Spot

I am running windows me, under a fat 32 file system.
    OK, first thing you would need to do is determine what part of the drive is the winders partition(i.e. hda1, hda5 or whatever).
    You can determine this easily via the Mandrake Control Center, where you should find a section on "mount points" or some such. If you hightlight the windows partition in question, you should see info on it, in particular "Device".
    For sake of arguement, let's call it hda1 for the time being.
    You can use the Control Center to mount it, but let's do it the manual way, as it's just as easy, and actually faster, IMO.

OK, now that we've determined that your winders partition is hda1, we can continue.
    As root or su, open the file /etc/fstab in your favorite text editor. Add the following line:
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,codepage=850 0 0
    (note, that is all one line, the post here might have wrapped it)
    This will give all users read & write permissions for the winders partition. Also, by it being in the fstab file, it will automatically be mounted whenever you boot the machine into linux. Save and exit the file.
    At a terminal, as root or su, issue the following command:
    mkdir /mnt/win_c
    This will create a directory under /mnt (aka the mount point) where you will find your winders partition once it's mounted properly.
    Still being root or su, issue the following command:
    mount /mnt/win_c
    Poof...your winders drive is now mounted and ready for you to use and abuse.
    As for the dsl, I have an external modem, it is made by Gnet. I have only used the network wizard a few times to try and set it up. No luck. Thanks for the help.
    Is the modem connected to your machine directly or via NIC? I don't know a hell of a lot about DSL, but I can certainly try.

bleeding toejam

Thanks Spot. I finally got my dsl configured and my connection is up and running. Tonight I will attempt to mount my windows partition. It should be interesting!

Spot

Good luck!
    It shouldn't be too difficult though