Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

gfx trouble with Redhat 7.2

Thread: gfx trouble with Redhat 7.2

doggiebone

gfx trouble with Redhat 7.2

Hi guys

hope you can help I have Redhat 7.2 2.4.7. I'm using a g-force 2 mx 32mb ram and the lastest drivers 2880, and xfree86 4.1.0 .When i install the kernel i get this error

[root@localhost gfx]# rpm -ivh NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2880.rh72up.i686.rpm
    Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
    1:NVIDIA_kernel ########################################### [100%]
    depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.7-10/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver
    /lib/modules/2.4.7-10/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver: unresolved symbol register_chrdev_R82739b6c
    /lib/modules/2.4.7-10/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver: unresolved symbol proc_root_Rd611da4a
    /lib/modules/2.4.7-10/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver: unresolved symbol init_mm_Rda088e62
    /lib/modules/2.4.7-10/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver: unresolved symbol irq_stat_R757431be
    /lib/modules/2.4.7-10/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver: unresolved symbol create_proc_entry_R0bae5560
    /lib/modules/2.4.7-10/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver: unresolved symbol proc_root_driver_Rfe7a1c71
    /lib/modules/2.4.7-10/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver: unresolved symbol __pollwait_R047dd2bd
    /lib/modules/2.4.7-10/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver: unresolved symbol remove_proc_entry_R23c20f40
    /lib/modules/2.4.7-10/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver: unresolved symbol mem_map_R9141227f
    /lib/modules/2.4.7-10/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.7-10/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver failed
    /lib/modules/2.4.7-10/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver: insmod NVdriver failed

NVdriver installed successfully

I then install the glx module and get this
    [root@localhost gfx]# rpm -ivh NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2880.i386.rpm
    Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
    /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.75654: strings: command not found
    --- WARNING!!
    libglx.a
    libGLcore.a
    libGL.so.1.2.030402
    --- The above file(s) possibly belong to a conflicting MESA rpm.
    --- They have been renamed to xxx.<originalFile>.RPMSAVE to
    --- avoid conflicting with the files contained within this
    --- package.
    --- Please see the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS section of
    --- /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README for more details.
    1:NVIDIA_GLX ########################################### [100%]

At this stage i edit the driver and modules after reboot i dont get the gui, i'm booted into text mode. I then have to re-install.

any idea's?

JimH

Re:gfx trouble with Redhat 7.2

Hmmm, I don't use Nvidia cards. I would try upgrading your your kernel to the lastest available for 7.2 and grab the Nvidia drivers for that kernel and try again.

Jim H

doggiebone

hi jim

thx for the info Generally is wise to rebuild the kernel when having gfx probs? Cos I'm a newbie to Linux but a god in other areas ;D

thx m8

JimH

You don't need to rebuild the kernel, but you might have better luck recompiling the nvidia source rpms instead of using the binary rpm's.

Jim H

or try the .tar.gz files
    you need to use them if you use a custom kernel, not the default distro one
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

Nehctik

Did you try to upgrade your Kernel version?
    I have a Geforce3 on an AMD Athlon based machine with Red-hat 7.2
    I had troubles ... then I upgraded my kernel version to 2.4.9-31
    and installed NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2313.rh72up_2.4.9_31.athlon.rpm
    and NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2802.i386.rpm
    and then I edited /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 like the installation instruction said .... and I did a startx
    and ... everything was working fine!
    If you have more questions, tell me, I will help you

doggiebone

Hi there

thx for your help and you've answered some question which I thought it might be too. The problem was when i installed the drivers and edit the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and read doc per instructions, redhat would boot, but I would loose my gui.

I will try to upgrade my kernel which seems the most obvious choice. Is there a site or does redhat provide docs for upgrading kernel, as a newbie I wanna make a smooth transition

thx doggiebone

doggiebone

Re:gfx trouble with Redhat 7.2 SUCCESS :)

Hi Guys and gals

I'd like to thank all who that helped trying to sort out my nvidia and redhat gfx problem. ;D Finally today after abit of deductions and common sense I finally got to the bottom of the problem

Thx all, I hope I can be of assistance in other area's of linux to you all 8)

Spot

Re:gfx trouble with Redhat 7.2 SUCCESS :)

Finally today after abit of deductions and common sense I finally got to the bottom of the problem
    So...what was it?

doggiebone

I was using the wrong kernel, I have a duron cpu and saw the athlon kernel, but choose to ignore it. So i ran the nvchooser and it said i needed the athlon kernel. Well I coulda choked myself

spent 3 weeks racking my brains. using different distro, then decided to give it one more go and hey presto it worked