Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

xwindow problem

Thread: xwindow problem

alloy

xwindow problem

Hi there everyone , when I boot the INIT screen load a lot of stuff but this time some stuff link to rc.d cannot be located . Then after load everything . It doesn't load xwindow anymore but just give me "INIT Id "x" respawning too disable for 5 minutes . When I press enter , the login prompt comes out . At the command prompt I type "startx" and it load me into a GUI enviroment but not gnome or KDE . Fwm or something like that .
    How do I get back the original configuration . I use to be able to boot into KDE with any errors . Sorry for my english , I don't know how to explain my situation .

Re:xwindow problem

alloy,

You need to make sure your /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc points to the correct xinit. For example if you wanted to boot KDE then it would point to xinitrc.kde. That should allow all users of the system to boot KDE. Now if you would rather specifiy for a single user then copy /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.kde to your users /home dir then rename it to .xinitrc. That will start KDE for that user only.
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny

alloy

Thanks SkyNet , but due to the fact I'm a newbie and I don't know what I'm doing also and is very hard to ask by using text .. I doing a reinstall :-\ as I'm typing . Thanks again . I know running from a problem is not the way but what a newbie got to do

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by alloy
    when I boot the INIT screen load a lot of stuff but this time some stuff link to rc.d cannot be located .
    Can you post the exact error messages that it shows.

What do these show:

cat ~/.Xclients
    cat ~/.Xclients-default

Did you edit your gdm.conf before this happened? When the X start scripts can't locate what your default desktop is it falls back to Fvwm2.

SkyNet,

Red Hat doesn't use ~/.xinitrc to set the default desktop.

Jim H

alloy

Hi there JimH , sorry but I already reinstall the linuxbox . Just remember that it was loading most of the services are OK .. just a few said something related to rc.d and cannot be located . Then inside before prompt .. it gave the x spawning too fast error message . Thanks anyway