Thread: How to connect to a network

alloy

How to connect to a network

Hi there Everyone ,
    I installed RedHat 7.2 ( Full installation ) on a PC at my frens cafe . The cafe used a linux as a server to dial-in to the internet and other win98 PC share the internet connection .
    Question is -> How do I configure the RedHat that I installed to use the same internet or network as the othe win98 PCs .
    I tried configuring the network configuration on the RedHat and the KickStart configurator . Since I'm a newbie I don't know what I should put and where it should be .
    The linux server is called a gateway right . The netmask I see win98 use 255.255.255.0 . Can anyone tell me in detail where should I type in the IP or what should I do .
    Thanks in advance .

JimH

Re:How to connect to a network

Quote Originally Posted by alloy
    The linux server is called a gateway right . The netmask I see win98 use 255.255.255.0 . Can anyone tell me in detail where should I type in the IP or what should I do .
    Thanks in advance .
    Yes the linux server is the gateway. What you put for the IP depends on how your friends network is configured. How does he assign IP addresses to the Win98 clients? Is he using DHCP or does each Win98 client have a static IP?

Jim H

alloy

every win98 PC has a static IP . The server also has a static IP .

kyiu

8) You need to run a Masquerading firewall. Download this from this from http://www.redhat.com/support/resour...llservice.html . Modify the IP address to match your site. Follow the instruction. Install it, and enjoy the internet share.

Ken

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by alloy
    every win98 PC has a static IP . The server also has a static IP .
    You just need to set the gateway IP to the Linux servers IP and set the IP of your box to an unused address in using the same range as your friends network. Do you understand?

Jim H

Quote Originally Posted by JimH
    You just need to set the gateway IP to the Linux servers IP and set the IP of your box to an unused address in using the same range as your friends network. Do you understand?

JimH
    WoW JimH, If that was ever vague...
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by SkyNet
    WoW JimH, If that was ever vague...
    Yeah, I was on the way out when I wrote that. :P But he seemed to understand where the setting needed to go, just not what to put there. I figured he would ask if he didn't. Without knowing the IP address range of his friends network it is hard to be specific.

Jim H

alloy

Thanks JimH and SkyNet ! I try the network stuff when I'm at my fren cafe . Sometime he doesn't bring it to work . i don't have network at home but working on it . Thanks again ... this forum rocks .

alloy

Thanks for everyones help . I got the network running already .. actually it accidently booted into Linux [default] and the kudzu detected it and I just type in the IPs . But I don't know about the Primary Name Server part . I type in the IP of my ISP . it was easier than win98 installation . But my network card is a PLANET card , it detected a REALTEK card . Still it works . Thanks again for you time .

Spot

Thanks for everyones help . I got the network running already .. actually it accidently booted into Linux [default] and the kudzu detected it and I just type in the IPs . But I don't know about the Primary Name Server part . I type in the IP of my ISP .
    If that works, use it
    it was easier than win98 installation . But my network card is a PLANET card , it detected a REALTEK card . Still it works . Thanks again for you time .
    Most like Planet is just a brand name, and they used generically available realtek chipsets on the card...it's quite common.