Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fast Window - How do I get out of it?

fishbeast9

Fast Window - How do I get out of it?

I just bought a system with Linux installed. It has a program called Fast Window that apparently overrides everything. All I want is the Linux prompt.

Does anyone know how to get to the regular prompt from Fast Window or how to get rid of Fast Window. It doesn't seem to have a readily recognizable way out.

Thanks for any help or ideas on this.

fishbeast9

Spot

Re:Fast Window - How do I get out of it?

1. No one will be able to help you without more information, knowing what distro you're using would be a good place to start.

2. There's no need to post this in 3 different sections. People will see your post. Please refrain from this sort of activity in the future.

fishbeast9

Sorry for the repeat posts.

I tried for about an hour to find out what the distribution is, but the damn Fast Window program overrides everything so I can't see any of the Linux files or anything else except a couple of empty folders it has sitting there.

No documentation came with the computer except a Chinese-English description of how to install Widows. The only thing I could find out is the version of Fast Window, which is 1.0, which no doubt helps not at all.

Anybody have any ideas on how I can get to a DOS prompt so I can go ahead and just reformat and install Caldera Linux or something? I'm ready. Aaaack!

fiahbeast9

try clicking the right, left, or both (middle) buttons on the main screen.
    This might bring up a menu which should have quit on it.
    To get to Linux Console mode, try Ctrl-Alt-F1.
    X (fastwindow) should be somewhere higher (F7 on)
    if you can get to that point, i can help you change it so it boots straight up to a console

Alastair
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

JimH

Why can't you just put your Caldera cd in the drive and overwrite whatever they have installed?

Jim H

fishbeast9

Some good suggestions. Thanks. I've tried all the buttons on all the Fast Window screens several times over looking for something like a quit function with no luck. Fast Window, by the way, isn't X Window. It's Fast Window (The Complete Multimedia Environment version 1.0).

The Ctrl-Alt-F1 suggestion gave me some hope, but I tried it and it gave me a black screen with no cursor. (I'm to the point where that's a victory--at least I don't have to continue to look at Fast Window. Now I can look at a blank screen once in a while.) But I had to reboot again, unfortunately back to Fast Window.

I did try to boot with my Caldera disk but it starts to load and then freezes with an error that leads me to believe it's having a conflict with the Linux (unknown version) that's already installed. I also tried using a Linux floopy boot disk as well as a W98 one, both of which won't boot (it just says to take them out and press any key to continue).

Thanks much for the suggestions, though--it keeps me busy and less likely to bang my head on the keyboard so much.

Any other ideas?

fishbeast9

Hmm, are you sure its linux? :P
    try ctrl-alt-backspace
    this crashes the X server, so it might do something to fastwindow.
    you can't get to _any_ console, programs, terminal emulators?
    internet etc etc??

Last stop, if you can't seem to get anything working, is a crash course in fdisk
    let me know how it turns out

Alastair

fishbeast9

I'm pretty sure it's Linux. I called the store where I bought it and they were no technical help except to say it has a Linux 1.3 shell, and they didn't know the distribution (installed in China, they guess).

I tried Cntrl-Alt-Backspace. It went to black screen again, no cursor, and I had to reboot back to Fast Window.

As far as fdisk, at this point I'm game. I have it on the W98 boot floppy, but it won't boot and it looks like I have no way to run it otherwise unless I can somehow get to a DOS prompt somewhere. Aack.

fishbeast9

linux 1.3!!!!
    _FECK_ THATS OLD!
    its up to 2.4.18 now.....
    the windows fdisk won't work, you will need a linux rescue disk to do the nesecary magic.

Its late now so i don't have the time, but ill write up some instructions in the next few days to help u get caldera on it.
    Anything for another linux convert

Alastair

fishbeast9

Thanks, Alastair! I'll light a candle for you on my hex-Gates altar.

fb9