Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Mandrake 8.2...First Experieces

Thread: Mandrake 8.2...First Experieces

Spot

Mandrake 8.2...First Experieces

OK, I decided to install this puppy on my laptop, so I wouldn't be left without my big box in case of problems.

Laptop specs:
    HP Omnibook 4100
    PII 233MMX/64meg ram
    1.7 gig as /
    300 meg as /home
    no cd-rom

Already having Drake 8.1 on it, I figured I'd try an "upgrade", since I'd never done that with linux before. Since I have no cdrom on it, I have to install via FTP via my pcmcia NIC. So I downloaded the ISO images for the first 2 CDs, mounted them, extracted the necessary files, set up the ftp server, and proceeded to make an install floppy from the pcmcia.img included with the distro. Due to a piss poor floppy drive, I ended up using about 12 floppies, as well as a couple of hours, but I finally got the machine booted up and the pcmcia card fired up as expected...woohoo! I filled in the necessary network info and went on my way, telling the installer to "upgrade" my current installation. Package selection seemed to go without a hitch, and it started to install.

BIG problems. Package after package after package failed to install. everything from the kernel headers to tetex. Over 2 hours had passed since it started, and I still was being prompted to continue or not due to package installation failures. I finally canceled it and did a hard shutdown of the machine...I was *pissed*. I examined the rpm pool on the ftp server and sure enough - they all showed as fine and dandy. Five hours shot to hell for nothing and to top it off, the previous 8.1 install was hosed. I grabbed the glue and picked my hair up off the floor and decided to take a break and walked away from the machine before I did something stupid. I reiterate...I was *pissed*.

I came back an hour later determined to get my laptop back up and working. I decided to do a clean install, via expert mode. This went smooth...really really smooth. No problems whatsoever. Package selection was the normal Mandrake fare. I was *thrilled* to NOT see imwheel and that stupid friggen Aurora thing that had plagued me in the past. I was disappointed not to find ABIWord, xgammon, and xwc in the listings though. Netscape is no longer included either. I chose what packages wanted and went on with the installation without a hitch. I was dumbfounded for a moment though, during the X setup. Normally, when X is tested, it shows the screen with the colorful penguins in the background and asks "Are these the correct settings?". I never did see any colorful penguins, but the settings were correct, so I went on, made a rescue floppy and rebooted the machine.

I am *thrilled* with the end result. KDE 2.2.2 is such an improvement over 2.2.1. I can't wait to see how 3.0 turns out. Though still a bit bloated to use on my laptop, I tried it just for the hell of it and was impressed. I'll stick with Blackbox however..at least on the laptop, just for speed's sake. With just a little bit of tweaking, I'm loving it. I also came across a little gem that I hadn't expected. Whilst using the Software Manager to install some dependancies for a couple of things I had to compile from source, I ran across Xine!! Xine!! Xine!! My favorite video player...it's on the CDs! It's killer when a lowly 233 can render DivX movies Thank you Mandrake for including such a fine piece of software in your distro(lol..it can be a BITCH to get compiled from scratch). Later, I'll hunt through the CDs more closely and see what else might be hiding there.

Though I'm completely dumbfounded by the "upgrade" fiasco, the end result was well worth the effort. My laptop has never been better utilized. With the clean install, setup is a snap,and I'd imagine even the most clooless of newbies could handle it in expert mode...in fact, I'd recommend using expert mode install all the time, since you have more control over what goes on...and isn't that why you decided to try linux in the first place?

Drake's maturing beautifully. 8.2 is a far, far cry from the clunky, almost haphazard releases of the past. Though they still have almost zero documentation of exaclt what's included on the CDs (one of my biggest beefs with them), all in all I'd recommend that people give it a try..I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy it.

Over-all I'd rate it a B+...due mostly to the "upgrade" fiasco.

P.S.
    There's one major thing that I haven't had a chance to check out yet. Previously, the Mandrake Update tool allowed for the installation of new kernel packages - which completely hosed the systems that they occured on. Sure, they gave a "warning" in the Manager, but it wasn't right in your face, nor could anyone expect a newbie to find it immediately...especially if there were many updates available at the same time. I hope to god that Mandrake has taken care of that little "feature" so that newbies and oldbies alike don't get caught offguard and endup with any more hosed installs.

Re:Mandrake 8.2...First Experieces

ive been meaning to reply to this when i have the time.....
    not now, but maybe later
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

here we go.....

well, it looks like mdk have worked hard on this version.
    good to see the slight lack of netscape and aurora, but not so good to not see AbiWord.
    u sure it just wasn't hidden somewhere?

I guess people will have to be carefull about the u/g option too.
    I used it once when i wanted to put gnome on my comp coz it was the easiest way dependincies-wise.
    and i would have been *pissed* if i lost my highly custom install.

luckily for me i have /home on another partition -(newbies: this is a *highly* recomended idea, so you still have all your info if you screw up an instalation like i have done so many times.....)

i have kde 2.2.1, what sort of improvements do 2.2.2 have?
    mainly looks?, usability?
    tho i now use ROX (http://rox.sourceforge.net/) im only curious, not begging to know so i can install it.

I have been thinking of going for Debian 3 when it comes out (or is it already out? i have no idea) or maybe looking at a simple lfs system, but maybe i should try drake 8.2 before that...
    [me=alastair]calculates how long another 2 drake cds will take to d/l on 56k dialup......[/me]

Thanks, Spot for the time taken to show your opinions, I valued them even if no one else did...:P

Think thats about all, i may have first impressions for all u ppl later in the year.

ALastair

Spot

well, it looks like mdk have worked hard on this version.
    good to see the slight lack of netscape and aurora, but not so good to not see AbiWord.
    u sure it just wasn't hidden somewhere?
    Quite sure. There were some rumors in the newgroups about them having trouble getting the spell check to work, so they left it out. One person on the alt.os.linux.mandrake newsgroup has compiled an rpm package for it himself, I believe he's looking for a place to host it.
    I guess people will have to be carefull about the u/g option too.
    I used it once when i wanted to put gnome on my comp coz it was the easiest way dependincies-wise.
    and i would have been *pissed* if i lost my highly custom install.
    Yea, I's never tried to upgrade a distro before, and after that experience, I prolly never will again..it sucked ass!
    luckily for me i have /home on another partition -(newbies: this is a *highly* recomended idea, so you still have all your info if you screw up an instalation like i have done so many times.....)
    I agree. I always do at least that much partitioning now.
    i have kde 2.2.1, what sort of improvements do 2.2.2 have?
    mainly looks?, usability?
    Mainly speed. Apps open faster, and it seems to be considerably less memory intensive. I couldn't use 2.2.1 on my cheezolaptop at all..it was just to much of a pig. I can use it now, though I will continue to use Blackbox on it, as it's less resource intensive for that slower machine.
    I have been thinking of going for Debian 3 when it comes out (or is it already out? i have no idea) or maybe looking at a simple lfs system, but maybe i should try drake 8.2 before that...
    [me=alastair]calculates how long another 2 drake cds will take to d/l on 56k dialup......[/me]
    Debian and I have never gotten along well. Apt-get just hates me for some reason, I can't explain it....it's been my nemesis every time I"ve attempted to get Debian running.
    As far as the CDs go, figure ~30 hours per CD on a good fast mirror. You don't *need* cd3, but apparaently Mandrake didn't do what they've done in thepast and done nothing but filled it up with non-freeware. Apparently it includes OpenOffice, as well as some other useful things, but nothing that you can't live without or grab from elsewhere.
    This is one thing Mandrake as sadly lacking - their documentation of exactly what's included on each distro. I'd be amazed if they even know wtf is on those cds.

iansl

I'm just wondering if you have to partition your hard drive and how reliable it is.

Redhat exploded on me when i tried to upgrade as well. i see a recurring theme here. i saw someone else around here with the same issues too....

Quote Originally Posted by iansl
    I'm just wondering if you have to partition your hard drive and how reliable it is.
    Yeah, you do have to partition the drive.
    mandrake is a very reliable, mature OS with only a few problems.
    if you want to know more, you could look around at the rest of the forum or start a new thread if there is something you are still unsure of, instead of tacking questions on the end of an existing thread

Alastair

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by babbing
    Redhat exploded on me when i tried to upgrade as well. i see a recurring theme here. i saw someone else around here with the same issues too....
    Red Hat prompted you to format the partitions when doing an upgrade? It should not have done that if it did.

Usually when I install on a new drive I will setup 4 partitions.

/boot
    /
    /home
    swap

I like having a separate /home because it allows you to do clean installs of new versions and I don't lose any of my preference setting.

Jim H

i don't remember if it asked about partitions, but i actually ended up reinstalling it all and have the same partition setup as you