Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

screw linux! :P
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: screw linux! :P

hyxodus

screw linux! :P

Gawd, now i have an error when booting, it doesnt load the GUI, and when I try to do startx, here's my error

Fata Server Error: caught in signal 11. Server aborted

XIO: Fatal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0" after 0 requests with 0 events remaining.

my friend said I need to rebuild the kernal or re-install linux. ... or try somethin called kudzu...... anyways...... i think its called... linux wasn't meant for me, and I feel a reformat coming soon

Re:screw linux! :P

Your friend is wrong, your problem is that you have not properly setup your X server. You should run xf86config and make sure you set everything up correctly. If you want to edit the file manually it's located here on a standard slack install /etc/X11/
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny

i agree with SkyNet.
    Linux can't break itself. Only doze can do that.
    you prolly did something to it without knowing (don't worry, i do it All the time)
    so the easiest way is to re run xconfigurator.
    mandrake has another version of the x setup prog, XFdrake, which is real easy to use.

kudzu is a hardware detection prog, it prolly won't help u with ur error

Alastair
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

Bogler

When i first started using Linux i had to re-install a couple of times as things had gone wrong. I am sure most of us in here have had to do it.

Eventually you get more used to the OS and are less likely to panic. The truth is that if Linux reports errors the problem will be fixable but this may take a couple of days and numerous postings to GLO. You're always learning though.. this cannot be said about Windows.

So, hang in there and post your problems with as much detail as possible and we'll help you get your box running like a slick, chromed, Harley fat boy.

Bogler :P

hyxodus

xf86config was run, and did not help.

Quote Originally Posted by hyxodus
    xf86config was run, and did not help.
    Please post your specific information about your system, and I will try to help you.

I need to know:
    Monitor, Horizontal Refresh, Vertical Refresh
    Video Card, MB RAM
    XFree86 Version (command: XFree86 -version)
    Mouse, How many buttons, Wheel?
    Distro, Version
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny

JimH

Try running Xconfigurator again.

Jim H

hyxodus

its okay, i am reformatting and deleting partitions now and going to WinXP Pro now. I donno about linux and what I will do with it, I think it's too advanced for me, I am just a smart windows user, not really familiar enough with linux to do anything useful, i just wanted to try it out, but it will never be my main OS, for gaming reasons.

x0xCRIZx0x

Quote Originally Posted by hyxodus
    .. I am just a smart windows user..
    ROFL. Sorry, that's an oxymoron if I've ever heard one. :P

On a serious note, I'm sorry that you feel discouraged about linux. But you have to remember that everyone had to start somewhere. Part of the learning process that one goes through are the mistakes and mishaps that happen along the way. No one is instantly an expert on anything.

But if you want a really transparent OS, one where you don't have to bother with the innards, then I guess windows is ok. It's depends on the purpose, right? I also have XP installed for gaming purposes, but hardly on it cuz i lose interest fairly quickly (except for Chromium, which is on linux!).

hyxodus

I play counter-strike all the time, and windows is so familiar with setting up network options and all that. It would take a while to figure everything out that I wanted linux to do, and for now, I just feel like having it easy with windows. I know windows sucks, lol, I was even thinking of going back to Windows ME, for gaming purposes, since it gives me great frame rates...... but I am trying WinXP to see how it will do, and so far it has not crashed or had any errors at all and it plays games great, better than my previous Win2k / Linux setup did. I still have RedHat 7.2 on CD's that I downloaded, but I guess that's what you get when you don't get any manuals cuz you don't buy it, it leaves you helpless :P Just running xf86config was scarey, because I wasn't sure what I was doing when I was entering Graphics card / Monitor information, lol :P I know it's in my manuals for them, but I still had my doubts.