Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

3Com 3CP3617 ADSL and Linux

Thread: 3Com 3CP3617 ADSL and Linux

Elaiv

3Com 3CP3617 ADSL and Linux

Gentlemen:

Guess, I'm a pre-newbie, cause I have not bought a Linux jet !! I'm learning all I can about Linux and are overwelm of amount of sites dedicated to Linux. But now I'm sad because searching for hardware comparability, I learned at Linux Central, that my 3Com 3CP3617 ADSL PCI Modem won't work with Linux.
    There was a mention of a driver 3c507.C for it, a EtherLink 16NIC that may be use, but is questionable. E-mailed 3com, and they reply, "there are no Linux driver for your PCI ADSL Modem", and the model has been discontinued.
    At another site, I learn about Traverse Technologies's NET spider-U ISDN Card PCI 128K Modem card. (pricy)
    Go to their site to learn more, and they talk about a driver needed with Win98/ME/2K is now available.
    I have been creating partitions with fdisk for a year, graduated to Partition Magic 7.0 to manipulate them and I thought it was going to be easy to migrate to Linux.
    But I had no idea about these problems with HDWRE comparabikity! I am confused!.
    Will I need a Modem for Linuz and another for Win98 ?
    I like SuSe Linux 8.0 so far and I"m getting a second HD just for the Linux OS. What other hardware should I checkout before buying Linux?

Elaiv

Dell Diamension XPS T800

Spot

Re:3Com 3CP3617 ADSL and Linux

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by Spot
    Hmmm, that seems to just be listed as using the 3c507 ethernet module for a driver. Thats wierd, but from the posts no one seems to have it working.

Jim H

Elaiv

Quote Originally Posted by Spot
    Spot:
    That's where I found the bad news about My 3cm 3617 modem not Linux Central as a I said.
    But Thanks, anyway!

Elaiv

Spot

That's where I found the bad news about My 3cm 3617 modem not Linux Central as a I said.
    But Thanks, anyway!
    OK, after doing a bit more reseach, from what I've seen...you have the equivalent of a "DSL winmodem", for lack of a better term.

Was the modem supplied by the ISP? If so, you might try telling them that you upgraded to NT and need an external ADSL modem and NIC(since they prolly offer no linux support to begin with). Failing that...with all the ISP's that have gone under as of late, there are thousands of people out there with 3-4 even 5 DSL modems laying around that are external...you could prolly pick one up fairly cheep!
    http://www.ebay.com