Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SuSE 8.0!

Re:SuSE 8.0!

but....
    What would you prefer?
    - license fees for your favourite distro...
    - or making a donation when they announce that they have a shortage of cash
    - (or swapping when you do nothing and they go bankrupt)
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

jmbrinks

One of the most compelling reasons to move from a Windows based environment today, for businesses, is to get away from expensive, awkward and confusing licensing fees. Some of the key differentiators for bringing Linux into a business environment include stability, price and lack of licensing. The addition of license fees will virtually kill two of those differentiators. As for the third, MS has a great marketing department and the Win2K release wasn't bad for businesses. The less key differentiators Linux has, the less likely it will be deployed in mass. It may technically be a better choice, but business will drive the purchase.

These vendors need to find another means of differentiating themselves to make money to support the business as well as development. Namely: Training, Design Services, Deployment Services, Custom Development, Application Building, etc...

Linux users are notoriously cheap and to think that the techies will pay license fees is absolutely ridiculous. Take Loki as an example. Probably the only real Linux Game Developer out there, and out of business because they charged for their products. Techies will find another distro, or take the last free release and either keep it or build on it themselves. Don't expect much in the form of payment from your average techie linux user. The money must come from business, and the key is differentiated services.

What would I prefer?
    Drive development to key on the business server and workstation market and make linux more mainstream. Generate revenue from business.

Will I pay a license fee? No
    Will I let them go bankrupt? If they don't offer any differentiators for the license, hell yes.
    Will I donate money? Yes. Only if I know exactly where it is going and what it will be used for.

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by alastair
    - or making a donation
    I make a "donation" to Red Hat everytime a new version is released. I buy boxed sets. ;D

Jim H

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by jmbrinks
    Linux users are notoriously cheap and to think that the techies will pay license fees is absolutely ridiculous. Take Loki as an example. Probably the only real Linux Game Developer out there, and out of business because they charged for their products. Techies will find another distro, or take the last free release and either keep it or build on it themselves. Don't expect much in the form of payment from your average techie linux user.
    That is something I really can't understand. You see people go out and spend alot of money to buy windows and software for it, but refuse to buy boxed sets to help support their favorite Linux distribution. Now I can understand it if they don't have the money to buy a boxed set, but there are alot of people who have the money, but still have the "I will use it, but I'm not going to pay for it" attitude and then go out and put down $50 for the latest windows game. :P

Jim H

jmbrinks

I also buy boxed sets.

I think there is a dividing line though. Those that have been using linux for an extended period of time via downloads that have never bought a boxed set never intend to pay for a linux distro or the associated applications. They feel that they have never paid up until now, and don't believe that they should ever have to.

Linux users tend to be in academics (don't actually buy the software themselves, it is provided by the school or by the vendor for experimentaion), college students (no money to begin with), high school students (no money either), or techies (have money, maybe, but see above).

The only time most linux users will pay for anything is when they can't find a copy or the item they are looking for cannot be found on a warez site. Most have illegal copies of windows, illegal copies of applications, and search for any means necessary not to have to pay. Sad but true.

Microsoft caters to the business users and the moms and dads that want to get a computer for the kids to use at home for school, internet, email, etc. No real power use or perception of quality software. They always intended to pay.

In order to make money in this industry you have to target the businesses that rely on software to increase the bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by JimH
    That is something I really can't understand. You see people go out and spend alot of money to buy windows and software for it, but refuse to buy boxed sets to help support their favorite Linux distribution. Now I can understand it if they don't have the money to buy a boxed set, but there are alot of people who have the money, but still have the "I will use it, but I'm not going to pay for it" attitude and then go out and put down $50 for the latest windows game. :P

Jim H
    I see exactly what you are saying, but the thing is, i _don't_ go and buy each version of doze as it comes out, or games.
    The only decent game i bought was Unreal Tournament, for about US$5, so i could play it in linux
    Im a poor bastard and will basicly revert to _any_ means possible to get something if i really want it.

In reply to jmbrinks:
    *looks at wni XP rc1 - cracked
    *looks at win ME - cracked
    *looks at win 98 - Spare license from school
    *looks at 2 cds worth of professional software
    *looks at pile of games - copied from mates

Thats what i love about linux. I don't _have_ to pay, but if i had a steady income, i would go out and buy a boxed set to support my fav. distro, hell, i might even go buy win xp if i was that mad...:P

johnqpublic

*downloads debian*
    Just passing on the info,did not expect smartass replys.

Quote Originally Posted by johnqpublic
    *downloads debian*
    Just passing on the info,did not expect smartass replys.
    Sorry there....
    I have nothing against it, i havn't even used it....
    I havn't even used Debian...:P
    might be a good time to change....

Alastair

johnqpublic

No prob alastair,I'm just a SuSE zealot.

hehehe