Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbies....

Newbies....

First I want to say welcome to all the new members....I don't know where your coming from, but I love it that your here! So welcome and enjoy your stay! ;-)

Next I was just sitting here at 5:40 in the morning looking at some of the "newbie" questions, and I am really impressed. You know, many other places flame the hell out of newbies for asking easy/simple questions, I can't think of a single newbie question we've had here on the board that warranted anything of the sort. (Not that we would do such a thing as I'd give you a swift kick in the butt because I dont support that :P ) But these questions are really well laid out, and actually have quite a bit of merit in their difficulty. They are trying to do things that require a bit of thought and run into problems because they are in a new environment.

For instance hyxodus, he is attempting to network his machines, and is dealing with dynamic versus static ips, and having to deal with all that junk. But the important thing is he is trying stuff on his own, like deleting files . Maybe not the BEST approach, but it is an attempt in solving the problem himself.

Then you have Jay, also trying to set up a nic with his machine...he had tried many things on his own, and needed help, but gave good amounts of information.

Anyways what I am trying to say is, I am just impressed. These newbies are far from newbies in my book, they have just switched os's and are in a new environment, but their brains been working in Linux for awhile! ;-)

Good job guys!

Aragorn

Btw, want to mention alastair, he just compiled KDE 3.0 so obviously he is doing pretty good too since it tooke me like a week to get it compiled! ;-)
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

jmbrinks

Re:Newbies....

I get all choked up just reading this post...... ;D

Spot

I get all choked up just reading this post...... ;D
    * Spot chokes Aragorn

hanzerik

"many other places flame the hell out of newbies for asking easy/simple questions"

This is sorta true. I'm usally over at www.linuxquestions.org . Over there you can get up to 50 posts an hour. The problem is that the people looking for help dont do a search on the forum for the same type of problem they are having, and the mod's and other people end up answering the same questions day after day, and they get a little upset I guess.

I'm always looking to help other people, and learn new stuff while I'm at it.

Great forum, keep it up

Quote Originally Posted by hanzerik
    "many other places flame the hell out of newbies for asking easy/simple questions"

This is sorta true. I'm usally over at www.linuxquestions.org . Over there you can get up to 50 posts an hour. The problem is that the people looking for help dont do a search on the forum for the same type of problem they are having, and the mod's and other people end up answering the same questions day after day, and they get a little upset I guess.

I'm always looking to help other people, and learn new stuff while I'm at it.

Great forum, keep it up
    I think this is one of the reasons i like GLO, the forums are slow (well, slower than others) so i can keep up with everything thats going on....
    Tho i would expect people to read at least the current page of posts whatever site they are at
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

yo Aragorn, KDE3 is still not compiling so ive given up for now...
    _BUT_
    im just trying to sort out my partitions to make an LFS sytem (http://www.linuxfromscratch.org) so i guess im still being an adventurous newbie ;D ;D ;D

ps.
    LOL, i just used google as my spell checker to spell adventurous.....
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

maverick

I found this site after looking through profiles on LinuxJunior. Someone had this set as their home page. I frequently post at places such as SysOpt, TechIMO, Linux Junior, XtremePCCentral, and AMDmb so if you've seen the name "Praetorian" around there, thats me.

JimH

Maverick,

Thanks for the link on your links page. I guess it is your page, same name on it. It is showing up in the stats for referring pages. ;D

Jim H

thanks aragorn. actually this happened to be the first site i came upon. i guess i got lucky . anyways, you guys have really helped me a lot i appreciate everything you guys do to help noobs like me

How did you come upon it? Search engine? do you remember the keywords?

Glad to have you hear, and glad to see you already have 81 posts !

I am away a lot, but I do look over you guys! ;-)

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.