Thread: Email question

pozzest

Email question

Hello,

I would like for my mailbox to send a copy of all incoming email to an outside address as well as keeping a copy in my local mailbox. It is my understanding that a .forward file will simply forward the email and not leave a copy behind. I am running Linux 7.1 and cannot seem to find an answer to my question in any of the documentation that came with it. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike ???

Spot

Re:Email question

I've done that with Kmail (KDE mail client) on several occasions. Just leave Kmail running and setup filters to forward/redirect the desired accounts to the outside address. It will keep a local copy, and send them out as well.

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by pozzest
    I am running Linux 7.1 and cannot seem to find an answer to my question in any of the documentation that came with it.

Mike ???
    There isn't a Linux 7.1. There is a Red Hat 7.1, Mandrake 7.1, and various other Linux distributions with a 7.1 version. What distribution are you using? Some more information on how your system is confiured and the programs you are using for your e-mail would be very helpful.

Jim H

nfallon

Hi Jim,

I'm using Mandrake 8.1 with KMail. In KMail you can set a filter to forward the mail. If the mail comes in addressed to me at nfallon@diligentsoftware.com and I want a copy at nfallo@mediaone.net all I have to do is set a filter on who the mail is going to and what I want done with it. One of the filter options is forward the mail.

Neil

pozzest

Sorry about that... I am running Redhat Linux 7.1 It is set up to be a mailserver/webserver. Since I didnt set this thing up and Im EXTREMELY new at linux, I'm not sure what mail program is running nor how to find out. I do know that I have used linuxconf to set up new mailbox accounts... Does that help???

Thanks,

Mike :-[

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by pozzest
    Sorry about that... I am running Redhat Linux 7.1 It is set up to be a mailserver/webserver. Since I didnt set this thing up and Im EXTREMELY new at linux, I'm not sure what mail program is running nor how to find out. I do know that I have used linuxconf to set up new mailbox accounts... Does that help???

Thanks,

Mike :-[
    Ouch! That makes it hard on you being new to Linux and not having set it up. More then likely it is setup using sendmail, which is the default MTA in Red Hat. This is straight from the Sendmail FAQ on Red Hat's website:

4.1 How can I foward e-mail and keep the message on the server too?

In ~/.forward add the following:

\yourlocalusername, you@somewhere.els

http://www.redhat.com/support/resour...FAQ/book1.html

Jim H

pozzest

Sounds simple enough- Thanks for the help!

Mike