Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for help on sendmail

kyiu

looking for help on sendmail

I want to set up my sendmail to forward email from the Outlook Express. I can send/receive email to myself and the root in my linux box. But sendmail refuse to forward my email to the world. (ex: my yahoo web mail). what's missing?

Ken

JimH

Re:looking for help on sendmail

Scroll down to the very last item on this FAQ about sendmail, see if this is your problem.

http://www.redhat.com/support/resources/gotchas/7.2/

Jim H

Semp

I don't really understand your question. Do you want to make something like an alias or what? If so, look at /etc/aliases (might be different).

kyiu

No..I simply want to send an email to the internet, i.e. user@yahoo.com.
    It refuse do that for some reason. Jim, I don get the RH's getchas. I don't
    the sample options it's indicated.

Ken

JimH

What version of Red Hat do you have installed now? Or did you switch to a different version?

Jim H

kyiu

I'm running RH7.1. I tried to send an email to my yahoo mail box using PINE. It said delieved. But I did receive anything. It's ignoring any email send to outside. Hope you can help.

TX

Ken

Semp

Try to telnet to an associates SMTPd (TCP/25) and POP3d (TCP/110). It could be that your ISP is filtering one or both of these protocols. Also, make sure you have the latest version of Pine compiled and you have tested it with another e-mail server. No one likes a broken e-mail client

Spot

Try to telnet to an associates SMTPd (TCP/25) and POP3d (TCP/110). It could be that your ISP is filtering one or both of these protocols.
    That very well could be the case. I know my ISP (RR) blocks SMTP, except to yer local subnet's traffic...the bastids. :'(

kyiu

??? I guess I don't really understand this sendmail business. What does my I ISP have to do with sending email from my box? The way I understand SMTPd is the server delievers the email directly to the recipient email server - based on the DNS resolved domain name, i.e. recipent@domain.com. I can understand I might have difficulty on receiving reply since I don't have a full qualify domain name. I think I'm have "relay denied" problem. :P http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section3.html#3.27
    But I don't know how to make it better.

Ken

NyteMask

8) Real easy. What I gather is you are trying to send mail from you internal network through your local sendmail server. The problem you are having is with relaying. By default, sendmail will only send from the local server. You have to add the domain you are sending from (Ex. user@nyterealm.com) and give it permission to RELAY through your mail server. By default not even the local domain has permission to RELAY through Sendmail.

I believe the file to edit is /etc/access

in there put you local ip network (EX. 192.168.1.0/0 RELAY) and your local domain you are sending from (Ex. domainname.com RELAY)

Looks like this:

domainname.com RELAY
    192.168.1.0 RELAY

You will have to restart sendmail for this to work
    8)