Thread: Newbie Question

hyxodus

Newbie Question

Hey, I just got Linux RedHat 7.2 not too long ago.. basically because I wanted another stable OS. So, I am dual booting Windows 2000 Professional and Linux RedHat 7.2. I was wondering if any of you all could help me out. What I want to do is be able to see my Windows 2000 Pro partition (which is NTFS, made by partition magic) from Linux... because all of my MP3's and stuff are on there... someone told me something about the mount command, but could you all explain it a little more?

hanzerik

Re:Newbie Question

NTFS support is very spotty. I would consider it risky to try to use linux with NTFS, I've heard of files becoming currupted.

So to get NTFS support, you will have to recompile your kernel and sellect NTFS support under supported filesyetems type.

JimH

bdl

Quote Originally Posted by hanzerik
    NTFS support is very spotty. I would consider it risky to try to use linux with NTFS, I've heard of files becoming currupted.

So to get NTFS support, you will have to recompile your kernel and sellect NTFS support under supported filesyetems type.
    Actually, NTFS READ support works quite well, I use it on my own machines. NTFS R/W support is considered experimental and definitely 'use at your own risk'. So you *can* enable read support only, share your NTFS filesystem with linux and play mp3's, access files.

Quote Originally Posted by JimH
    Anyone else think that JimH is proud of himself? Just for a bit of information, that article is the largest attraction next to the board itself to this site. So he has a pretty bloated head over it! ;D : :P

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.