Thread: error message

and1088

error message

First of all, I'm a newbie. I'm trying to run insmod to install a driver for my ethernet card, however I get an error message. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what it meant:

[begin]
    ...root net]# insmod il
    using /lib/modules/2.4.3-20mdk/kernel/net/il.o
    /lib/modules/2.4.3-20mdk/kernel/net/il.o: unresolved symbol cpu_raise_softirq
    [end]
    ???

By the way, I'm running Mandrake 8.0 with, of course, kernel 2.4.3-20. Thanks So much!

JimH

Re:error message

That is going to be a bug. More then likely with that version of your NIC driver. I am not familiar with Mandrake is the kernel you are using the original kernel from 8.0? You might look and see if there is an updated kernel available from Mandrake. This will be the easiest way for you to upgrade the kernel.

What NIC do you have?

Jim H

and1088

Yes, it is the original kernel from Mandrake. I have the DLINK-DHN 520 NIC (HPNA 2.0). I found a driver for the Broadcom42XX chip (which is on the card). off of the linksys website, actually ftp site.
    See www.homepna.org/support/faqs.html #4 driver for linux I did everything except step 7: "temporarily install the module by executing ``insmod il", where it gives me the error.
    I tried recompiling kernels already, sort of, except I got an error on ``make zImage". I'm afraid to copy it over to lilo. By the way, I was using kernel 2.4.9 then. Should I use a different version? Thanks for helping!

I believe it was ur exact card I had issues with before.....use the tulip driver....I have yet to find a nic that the tulip driver doesn't work for. Just recompile ur kernel with the tulip module installed!

Aragorn

P.S. Welcome to GLO
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

and1088

Since I don't really think you can recomile the kernel without the source code (I don't have the source for the original kernel), does anyone know what rpm the source is on for Mandrake 8.0?

If not, I'll just change distro's. Any suggestions?

Ummm it should be on your sources disk that came with Mandrake. It will be a package included on your cd, otherwise you can goto mandrake and download it from their website.

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by and1088
    Since I don't really think you can recomile the kernel without the source code (I don't have the source for the original kernel), does anyone know what rpm the source is on for Mandrake 8.0?

If not, I'll just change distro's. Any suggestions?
    If you don't have the kernel source installed for the kernel you are using how did you compile the module for your NIC? It would have required the kernel source to be installed.

Jim H

and1088

I got my card to work!!! ;D . I just reinstalled Mandrake. After, I found the source on the second CD. I wasn't looking there. I am planning to delete windows reeeaallly soon .

I used the source from another kernel the first time, stupid me, I was trying to upgrade the kernel and install the driver at the same time. One step at at time for us newbies! . Thanks!

JimH

I thought that might have been your problem after you said you didn' thave the kernel source installed. Modules must be compiled against the source for the kernel you are running.

Jim H