Thread: Some general kernel comp questions...

Bogler

Some general kernel comp questions...

Hi over the last few weeks i have formulated some questions i would like to ask.

1. When you compile a new kernel is it just a matter of taking the bzImage file (once complete) and copying it to/boot and renaming it vmlinuz-2.x.x-x (whatever version x is) Then running lilo -v on it? i have read the howto.

2. If you then want to recompile the same kernel, do you have to remove the bzImage file or can you overwrite? The output from the recompilation processs doesn't tell you very much.

3. Are rpms kernel specific? If you install a kernel specific driver for a kernel version can you install a different driver on the same machine for a different kernel version? this is really a nvidia question.

4. What is the best file to get detailed information on failures when a machine boots (RedHat). I comiled a kernel yesterday and i couldn't get the rerquired detail to attempt a fix (it wouldn't mount the filesystems).

Thanks

Bogler ;D

Spot

Re:Some general kernel comp questions...

1. When you compile a new kernel is it just a matter of taking the bzImage file (once complete) and copying it to/boot and renaming it vmlinuz-2.x.x-x (whatever version x is) Then running lilo -v on it? i have read the howto.
    You can either do that or, more safely, give the new kernel image its own name and setup another lilo stanza specifically for it. That way, you have both images in case one isn't booting properly.

2. If you then want to recompile the same kernel, do you have to remove the bzImage file or can you overwrite? The output from the recompilation processs doesn't tell you very much.
    See above.

3. Are rpms kernel specific? If you install a kernel specific driver for a kernel version can you install a different driver on the same machine for a different kernel version? this is really a nvidia question.
    I do believe the nvidea drivers are kernel specific. I'm sure someone will jump in and say for sure, or you could always check their website.

4. What is the best file to get detailed information on failures when a machine boots (RedHat). I comiled a kernel yesterday and i couldn't get the rerquired detail to attempt a fix (it wouldn't mount the filesystems).
    /var/log/boot.log

JimH

Re:Some general kernel comp questions...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogler
    cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-version
    cp System.map /boot/System.map-version

Update your /etc/lilo.conf and run lilo -v

Don't forget to make a new initial ramdisk image if required.

You should not overwrite your old kernel. Look for these lines in the toplevel Makefile of your kernel source and increment EXTRAVERSION when you compile a new kernel. Then you can manually delete the old kernels after you make sure the new one works.

VERSION = 2
    PATCHLEVEL = 4
    SUBLEVEL = 9
    EXTRAVERSION = -21

The nvidia drivers are kernel specific you must re-compile them for each kernel. See the nvidia docs for more inforamtion on this.

4.What is the best file to get detailed information on failures when a machine boots (RedHat). I comiled a kernel yesterday and i couldn't get the rerquired detail to attempt a fix (it wouldn't mount the filesystems).
    /var/log/messages

JimH reminds himself we need to do a kernel compile OMP for the site. ;D

Jim H