Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

music cd's and Slack

Thread: music cd's and Slack

Hybrid View

johnqpublic

music cd's and Slack

Never played music cds in Slack 8.0 before and I'm stumped. To even get my dvd to work I put this entry in etc/fstab "dev/cdrom /media/cdrom auto ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0" I copied this line from my SuSE 7.3 etc/fstab as everything works fine in SuSE. In Slack my Sb Live is working fine,volumes turned up in sound mixer and kscd shows a music cd is playing but no sound. Did I make a mistake in etc/fstab? Am I missing something ? Who has a solution for this? ???

Re:music cd's and Slack

Before I get into anything technical, I'll ask the simple question first. Do you have the plug going from your sound card into the CD-ROM/DVD? It's needed in-order to transfer the sound from the audio CD to the sound card to be processed. You can get around that though by coping the audio files to the HDD and playing them from there. That's assuming you don't have the cord though.
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny

johnqpublic

Yep,SkyNet I have my DVD plugged into my sound card.Cannot fiigure this out.I'm missing something somewhere.

Aaron_Adams

My friend recently had problems with that, and successfully fixed it. If SkyNet doesn't have the answer posted by the time I get home, I'll call my friend and ask him. I think it may have been a permission problem on some of the other sound devices in his case. It may be worth checking in your case as well.

hanzerik

This worked for me

Use addgroup to add a group called sound to /etc/group

addgroup sound

Then open up /etc/group in a text editor, and look for the line down the bottom relating to the new group you just created. Next to the colon ( enter in the name of the users you want separated by commas, but not spaces

sound:*:110:user1,user2,user3

Then save and exit the file.

Execute the following commands from the CLI

chown root:sound /dev/mixer
    chown root:sound /dev/audio
    chown root:sound /dev/dsp

chmod 660 /dev/audio
    chmod 660 /dev/dsp
    chmod 660 /dev/mixer

Then log out of the current user you just added to the /etc/group, log back in.

You will also need to give read permissions to normal users to /dev/cdrom

JimH

Slackware doesn't set device permissions when the user logs in? Red Hat sets the device permissions when the user logs in via /etc/security/console.perms.

Jim H

hanzerik

In slack, by default only root has permissions to the sound devices /dev/dsp, /dev/mixer, /dev/audio.

and also by default only root has permissions on /dev/cdrom

JimH,

Slackware does not assume anything, therefore you set it all up.

johnqpublic,

If this is a permissions problem then follow the instructions given to you by hanzerik, and it should get you completely fixed up. As that is similar to what I have done...

kudos hanzerik on the solution, I'm glad to see more fellow slackers.... ;D
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny

hanzerik

Thx, I usally hang out at linuxquestions.org , but found this the other day. Not as busy as linuxquestions but a good forum just the same.

I'm not just a slacker , I also use RH6-7.* intel and alpha versions, mandy, solaris, and LFS.