Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMD vs Pentium

Hybrid View

feihung08

AMD vs Pentium

Ok, I'm getting ready to build a system, and I will be running a dual boot with Windows and Red Hat (maybe, I'm starting to think about Mandrake if what I heard is true about AOL+RH), but I'm trying to understand just how compatible Linux is with AMD processors?!?! This is probably just a ridiculus question, but I've heard some people say that it's not as compatible with AMD, so don't laugh at me, I'm just getting into this whole Linux/Unix universe!! I want to run an AMD XP, but if I can't take full advantage of Linux (in the long run) I will go with a P4.

So what do you think? :o

Re:AMD vs Pentium

I personally prefer AMD....they do more work per cycle and I think they are just better all around chips.

As far as incompatibilities I don't know of any. These guys might know of something, but I don't.

I think you should still stick with Mandrake since you are just getting your feet wet. Once you get past that and feel against their business practices, then go with RH or maybe be cool and use an apt-get system like Debian! ;D

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

JimH

I prefer AMD myself. I just built a new system with an AMD Athlon 1800+ 1.53Ghz. Running Red Hat 7.2. It has been working great.

Specs on my system. All of this isn't new. Some of this is from my old system.

Red Hat 7.2, installed flawlessly :-) all updates applied

XFree86-4.2.0-0.6.1 -- beta RPM's not included with RH 7.2
    kernel-2.4.17-0.16 Althon optimized kernel

Althon 1800+ 1.53Ghz
    Epox 8KHA+ motherboard
    768MB Crucial PC2100 DDR
    Radeon 7500, Retail boxed, not OEM
    IBM 120GXP 80GB hard drive, going to have to add another one ;-)
    Adaptec 2930CU SCSI controller, for cd's
    Teac CD-532S 32x SCSI CD-ROM
    Plextor PX-W1210TS 12x/10x/32x SCSI CD-RW
    Sound Blaster Live
    Linksys NIC
    Supermicro SC-760P4 Case

Jim H

nfallon

I have used Pentium chips since they became available and have never had a problem with them. You may want to read this article originally posted in the news section regarding a bug with the AMD chip and Linux: http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/23826.html

Neil

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by nfallon
    I have used Pentium chips since they became available and have never had a problem with them. You may want to read this article originally posted in the news section regarding a bug with the AMD chip and Linux: http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/23826.html

Neil
    Fortunately I seem to be, at least so far, uneffected by this bug. I saw in another article that this may only crop up when using a non-athlon optimized kernel with an athlon processor.

Jim H

feihung08

WOW!!
    GREAT FEEDBACK GUYS!!
    Unfortuntely this doesn't exactly make my mind up for me, yet!!

In Neal's article it talks about the "bug" being in the Athlon processors. Do you think by chance they remedied this in the XP's?

Man, I'm still confused?!

Also, Aragorn posted........
    <<"go with RH or maybe be cool and use an apt-get system like Debian!">>
    Now I know I have a long way to go!! What is an "apt-get" system?!?!?

Thanks a ton guys,
    Dick

Quote Originally Posted by feihung08
    Also, Aragorn posted........
    <<"go with RH or maybe be cool and use an apt-get system like Debian!">>
    Now I know I have a long way to go!! What is an "apt-get" system?!?!?

Thanks a ton guys,
    Dick
    Ahhh the wonders of apt-get...it is the package manager for Debian and debian based distros. Basically it woops RPM's butt, heheh....very easy to learn, and very easy to use....but being a newbie I recommend going with RH or Mandrake honestly since they are the easiest for newbies to get used to...then you can become cool later! 8)

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

mountainman

Quote Originally Posted by JimH
    I prefer AMD myself. I just built a new system with an AMD Athlon 1800+ 1.53Ghz. Running Red Hat 7.2. It has been working great.

Specs on my system. All of this isn't new. Some of this is from my old system.

Red Hat 7.2, installed flawlessly :-) all updates applied

XFree86-4.2.0-0.6.1 -- beta RPM's not included with RH 7.2
    kernel-2.4.17-0.16 Althon optimized kernel

Althon 1800+ 1.53Ghz
    Epox 8KHA+ motherboard
    768MB Crucial PC2100 DDR
    Radeon 7500, Retail boxed, not OEM
    IBM 120GXP 80GB hard drive, going to have to add another one ;-)
    Adaptec 2930CU SCSI controller, for cd's
    Teac CD-532S 32x SCSI CD-ROM
    Plextor PX-W1210TS 12x/10x/32x SCSI CD-RW
    Sound Blaster Live
    Linksys NIC
    Supermicro SC-760P4 Case

Jim H
    Dude That is so close to the system I am building with taxmoney!! I plan on going with the xp1900 processor and regular cd's vice scsi. How well does the 7500 work? I planned on getting that also. I cant wait... ;D ;D ;D

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by feihung08
    In Neal's article it talks about the "bug" being in the Athlon processors. Do you think by chance they remedied this in the XP's?

Thanks a ton guys,
    Dick
    The bug is not with the processor itself. It is a Linux bug.

Jim H

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by mountainman
    Dude That is so close to the system I am building with taxmoney!! I plan on going with the xp1900 processor and regular cd's vice scsi. How well does the 7500 work? I planned on getting that also. I cant wait... ;D ;D ;D
    I didn't consider the price difference between the 1800+ and the 1900+ plus to be worth it. The performance difference would be very small.

The Radeon 7500 works pretty well for the first driver release. Although I haven't been able to get RTCW working. :'( It runs, all the intro video's run perfect, but as soon as you start playing a game it locks up. :'( I need to play it with some more. I haven't been paying attention to XFree86 CVS to see if any updates to the driver have been released lately.

Jim H