Thread: I'm upgrading KDE,any advice?

Hybrid View

johnqpublic

I'm upgrading KDE,any advice?

Have an older version of SuSE(7.1)which I plan to upgrade KDE to 2.1.2 .So,has anyone done this in SuSE before?I'm aware packages need to be installed in a certain order but at the SuSE site instruction on this is almost nill.Who has advice on this?

Re: I'm upgrading KDE,any advice?

Ack....KDE is not on my good side right now since I am trying to get it installed in the first place in Debian. Hmm....KDE's web site is a bit more informative than SuSE's. You might want to try there.

http://www.kde.org

I'll try to get some information together for you.....KDE is not the easiest program to install or upgrade....so we'll try and get you through it!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

johnqpublic

No it sure isn't. I have done it before and had success one out of six or seven times.Cannot remember how I did it though.Well, cover me,I'm going in.

I got your back!

Watch out for those damn tarballs they can be a real b*tch!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

malexg

I've been using SUSE since 1999. Upgrading from KDE 2.0 is easy. Go to this sight:
    http://ftp.sourceforge.net/pub/mirro...ion/rpm/SuSE/i
    386/7.1/

Then go to this sight to get kdelibs-2.1.2:

http://ftp.sourceforge.net/pub/mirro...on/SuSE/i386/7
    .1/

Download the rpm files one-by-one from each sight. Then use YaST to install them. If you use YaST, you won't have to worry about doing theinstall in the proper order at the command-line. Make sure you already have KDE 2.0 installed. Hope this helps.

If you're low on disk space, skip koffice and the *-devel* files, as you only need these if you're going to do software development within KDE.

PS: I use SUSE 7.1, with KDE 2.1(kdelibs 2.1.2).

Have an older version of SuSE(7.1)which I plan to upgrade KDE to 2.1.2 .So,has anyone done this in SuSE before?I'm aware packages need to be installed in a certain order but at the SuSE site instruction on this is almost nill.Who has advice on this?

johnqpublic

Thank you for the assist.I still have not gotten around to updating KDE yet but I will today or tomorrow.Gettin lazy.Thanks again.

johnqpublic

Got KDE updated and everything seems to work fine.Used Yast to do the update which made it easy.Did this on SuSE 7.1 with an updated kernel(2.4.7)Have an up to date distro on computer 2.That is if I leave it alone.Thank you malexy for the input. ;D ;D