Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux crashed

WireChief

Linux crashed

It crashed after logging out and logging backin as root. a red screen with exploding bombs appeared. I could not get out of it, tried ctrl alt backspace,ctrl alt f1,ctrl alt delete... mouse keyboard all locked up.. I hit reset... it rebooted and when it tried my boot disk it stopped at "LIL-" I thought oh oh its gone for sure.. but I had just today made another backup boot disk as johnqpupublic had suggested and it worked!! why? my original boot disk is dead it stops ant LIL- what has happened ?

johnqpublic

Re: Linux crashed

When you logged in as root the red background with the bombs was the root logo screen so you were probably ok.Just log back in and you should be fine.

WireChief

All is not well. Not only is the original boot disk unusable so is the backup created with Aragorns backup commands, additionally I cannot get the Boot configuration to work as suggested by Johnqpublic after i enter the password it just stops, nothing further, system is not hung but it does not proceed to the next screen, unless there is another option it looks like i need to redo the whole installation..

Boot disks aren't good to use...I really recommend having it boot from the hard drive...you prolly can get around re-installing if you boot off of your linux cd then re-install Lilo and then have it installed to your /dev/hda drive...

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

WireChief

Yes, I agree, I have made a backup of my MBR and will be trying to install LiLo there . will keep you all posted on the saga ..I have not tried going back into the "root" login, at somepoint I will probably have to and if it crash's again perphaps I should reinstall Linux. Another point on this is I discovered that my UltraATA66 controller used by both the 13 gig and the 4gig show (!)'s in the Control panel, I don't think Linux supports it and may be why Im experiencing some of these weird crash's..

JimH

What ATA66 controller do you have? If you are using a 2.4.x kernel there is good possibility it is supported. If you are using an early ATA66 hard drive, it might not be fully ATA66 compliant. if this is your problem running the drive in ATA33 mode only, swapping the ATA66 (40 pin/80 wire) cable with an ATA33 (40 pin/40 wire) will fix it. Make sure you are not using an ATA66 cable on a drive that isn't ATA66 capable, especially don't use one on cd-rom's, cd-rw, zip drives, etc.

WireChief

I have Linux installed on a 4gig ATA33 drive and now have Lilo installed in the mbr and is working to windows now. no more disks I hope.You have asked some very interesting questions. I am using a wd13 gig as primary (is ATA66) wd4gig (is ATA33) with a Siig ultra ATA/66 model CN2468 controller card, it says it has full backward support for Ultra ATA/33 but....I am using the newer ATA/66 ribbon cable on it!...before I change it am goingto have to check with WD and see what problems I might have doing that, didnt realize there would be problems using it. Also am using kernal 2.18 or something like that, I didnt select 2.4 in the install :-(

JimH

Do the you have both hard drives on the same channel? Drives will run at the speed of the slowest drive on the channel. The controller will work fine with ATA33 drives, but you shouldn't put ATA66 and ATA33 drives on the same channel.

WireChief

Im not sure what you mean by same channel.. The drives are connected to the Siig controller via seperate ribbon cables to seperate ports.

JimH

Im not sure what you mean by same channel.. The drives are connected to the Siig controller via seperate ribbon cables to seperate ports.
    Wrong term really. I meant were they connected to the same port. I should have said different controllers. That is fine they way you have them, but I would put a 40 wire cable on the old hard drive.