Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KDE 2.2

johnqpublic

KDE 2.2

Yep,it is out and I updated SuSE7.1 and 7.2.Best offering from KDE to date.No probs to report yet but will post if any come up. ;D

Re: KDE 2.2

Hehehe, I bet you guys didn't even read the news and see that I had KDE 2.2 available for download here at the site. Ha ha.....did you have to fight the bandwidth, see that is what you get for not reading the news! :P 8) ;D

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

BTW JohnQ, HOW MANY DISTROS DO YOU HAVE INSTALLED?

You have asked questions about almost every major distro out there? Do you have them all installed or are you just killing your hard drive by formatting every few days?
    It's alright though, that is what I do!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

johnqpublic

Computer 1 has WIN2K,SuSE7.2,Libranet 1.9.1,Slackware8.0,this is my workhorse I try not to mess with.Now Computer2 is my thrasher with Win2K,SuSE7.1,Redhat7.1,Mandrake8.0.All OS' are on 10-11GB partitions so I have a little room for each.Yea my harddrives do take a beating as I do change things. ;D

My god man, what do you do for a living? I am lucky to have one computer!

Remember, if you ever have an extra computer, you know where to send it!

Aragorn

johnqpublic

I work in the Oil Industry.It does pay well but it is nerve racking and dangerous.I work on the oilwells themselves.My wife has a pretty good job also.We make a fairly good living Enough to get taxed to death.

JimH

I updated my RH 7.1 system already, I only have to say WOW. ;D But the currently available RedHat rpms are a little rough around the edges, this is not a job for a newbie. Apparently when Bero built the rpms all he had access too was a Roswell box. I had too grab a few dependencies from rawhide and then they had to be installed in a specific way and order. I'm sure he'll correct this when he can.

Jim H

Hmm...I haven't even tried to upgrade yet because they don't have the .deb files out..and I do NOT want to compile the sources. So tell us a bit about 2.2, what are some significant changes JimH?

JohnQ, ewww oil fields.....that sucks dude, your not one of the oil hounds are ya? Pulling those 18 hour days and crap, work 3 weeks off 1 kinda thing? Obviously you don't live at the fields, they do that crap in Oklahoma where I am originally from. I feel for ya man, that is HARD ASS work.....I know they pay a mint though, the ought to!

Aragorn

JimH

Hmmm, where do I begin Nicer look overall, larger icons on the desktop and in the file manager. Real cool new default theme. Definitely see some speed improvements. Will probably see some more once I get around to re-compiling the source rpms. Kmail and knode both have some nice improvements. Filter configuration in kmail has been reworked. All programs you have running, on any desktop now always show up on the panel. If you have multiple windows open from the same program they only take up one place on the panel, you just click the title on the panel and it brings up a list of the open windows. This is definitely the really cool new feature. ;D Kevelop 2.0 looks like it has quite a few improvements, but I have only glanced at it. I don't kow if it is just my imagination, but the fonts look smoother and this is without enabling anti-aliasing. I haven't tried that yet. I re-compiled the source rpm from Roswell for Koffice 1.1 RC1, have too many improvements on it too list and I only glanced at it. The only problem I'm having is with arts, the KDE sound server, but I haven't had time too look and see what is causing the problem. I suspect it is probably just with my setup. I know I probably missed something maybe JohnQ can fill in a few more details.

Jim H

johnqpublic

I'm having problems with the sound server also.Modprobe can't locate the module or something similar but I can reactivate it in KDE Control Center.So,this is annoying to me.Hope some of you good people can help solve this problem.