Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

SuSE 7.3 On The Way! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SuSE 7.3 On The Way!

JimH

Re: SuSE 7.3 On The Way!

Release date for 7.3 is getting close for all of the SUSE user's out there. I just saw on SUSE's website that 7.3 will be available Oct 22th.

Jim H

johnqpublic

Have it pre-ordered.Should be an excellent distro like 7.1 and 7.2.

JimH

Have any of the SUSE users upgraded to 7.3 yet? How is it?

Jim H

johnqpublic

Have any of the SUSE users upgraded to 7.3 yet? How is it?

Jim H
    Chumbo shipped my order for 7.3 today so I may not see it till Monday,but tomorrow would be way cool too!

johnqpublic

Just got 7.3 installed.Has a few new things but need more time to play!However,it was easy to install(as always)and is solid as a rock.One thing,I still have to configure my internal modem manually.Detects it in Yast but something is lost in the shuffle cuz after suseconfig runs modem is no longer detected.Oh well,just a backup for my cable modem.Detected the rest of my hardware just fine.

johnqpublic

Ok,it has been about two weeks now and so far SuSE 7.3 has been great!KDE 2.2.1 is rock solid.Gnome is not installed so I cannot comment on it.TO install,manage or configure SuSE one has a choice of YaST or YaST2 as always.The former is menu driven,the latter is graphical.I use YaST2 cuz I'm still a recovering windows addict.The install was easy,seamless with no probs as I have already posted.Kernel configuration tool is a cool feature in Control Center.My new printer was detected and configured which was a pleasant surprize.Only thing is my modem (USR Performance Pro) which appeared to be detected and configured is not working.However,I have had this prob in Drake 8.0,8.1 and Redhat 7.1,7.2.I'll get it working when I get around to it.This distro has the most recent kernel (2.4.10) of all Linux distributions that are out at the moment I believe.Hey,SuSE is a good choice folks.It comes with enough crap for something like 6gigs if you install the whole thing.Well,7.3 Pro does.Is it good for newbies?Yea,cuz I'm one with only nine mos.experience and it works for me.SuSE has given me less probs than Drake 8.0 or 8.1 as well as Redhat 7.1.It has been more stable than both for me.Won't say about Redhat 7.2 as it hauls ass in its own right.This is a very broad overview without details I know, but I'm still playing with it as well as mandrake 8.1 and Redhat 7.2.

Kewl!

If I ever save up a few bucks, I'll have to fork it over for SuSE!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

johnqpublic

One I thing I forgot to mention was configuring my NIC and setting up my cable modem was a snap also.

x0xCRIZx0x

Hey all. I recently got a copy of SuSE 7.3 Professional (courtesy of my gf) and decided that I would contribute some of my impressions.

Installation and setup was a breeze (the second time around, more on this later). Although I think it would be more difficult for the first timers out there. Being used to the individual package selection from Mandrake, doing it in SuSE was not a daunting task (but still tedious one at that). Novice installers would have a difficult time at this step. The best thing to do was to do a minimal install (with just the basic KDE packages), and use Yast2 afterwards to choose packages you want. Also, I have an Nvidia Geforce Ultra card. You would think since the distro was purchased that it would be easy to package in the Nvidia drivers. Not so. I still had to dl the drivers from the Nvidia site, change XFree86-Config file, and rebuild nvidia_kernel and install nvidia_glx rpms. Definitely not something you want in a distro being advertised as easy to install (again, Mandrake experiece helped out alot in this case).

A couple of kudos for SuSE on the following components:
    -Yast2, along with being easy on the eyes, is a real intuitive tool. I especially liked the kernel selection tool. Sound configuration was a breeze with this tool as well.
    -Not that it changes performance, but I like the boot-up screen (those 3d images are cool!).
    -I'm not sure why Mandrake did not have this tool, but fetchmsttfonts (this retrieves ttf fonts and installs them) is great. I don't know about you guys, eventhough I couldn't care for MS, i still like their fonts

But alas, SuSE is in it for the money (Mandrake is also but at least they provide iso's ) In any case, I would NOT fork over cash for this distro. Even though it is polished, well packaged, and intuitive, let me give my reasons as why some should stick to other distros (in this case Mandrake since it was my first love).

1. Yast2=Mandrake Control Center. Although Yast2 has many nice features, I feel these could be easily added to Mandrake Control Center in the future (as I hope they will).
    2. Software. Ok, we all know that the open source community is a dynamic one. Things are always updated. So although we can say that SuSE is great since they provide all these software in the distro, so what? Almost all of them are rendered useless since apps you would want to upgrade it anyway. Case in point, the xine version they had in the distro was 0.43! I'm using 0.93 right now (which works a hell of a lot better and looks better too). With Mandrake, I could use urpmi or use a cooker site for a source. Unless someone can do the same with SuSE (and if you can, please tell me), then Mandrake is better in this arena. When it comes to bleeding-edge, Suse is not the distro of choice (hey, i like experimental rpms, ok? hehe)
    3. The first time I tried to install, it was from the DVD. Guess what, it didn't find the lilo.rpm file in the DVD, therefore rendering my whole install useless! Good job SuSE.
    4. SuSE menus vs. KDE Menus. Can we say cluttered? This is one area SuSE people really annoyed me (and please, i'm entitled to be annoyed once a distro has been paid for). Sometimes installing new software (gftp for example) didn't update the menu, I had to manually add it. I'm wondering, did they do this to the Gnome menus as well? I know you have to differentiate you distro. But there are better ways than just cluttering the desktop reminding people they're using your distro.

All in all, I like SuSE. But I'm left to wonder, what happens when 7.4 comes out? Will I have to fork over $80 dollars? Will I have a choice to buy update cds for a cheaper price? Will SuSE, in an insane moment of open source clarity, make iso images available for downloads? I'm not sure.

Well that was interesting. Glad I have more than one point of view now. I still want to give it a try, as I would really like to see what this loving relationships with Yast Susers have. I am in a love hate relationship with MDK as it is leaning toward being windowsy but yet is good for newcomers to smooth the transition. MDK is the only distro I've ever had lock up cold on me though. That bothers me that Nvidia support isn't into the kernel, but I think this is the last Nvidia card I'll ever own, especially since the ATI radeon 8500 is supposed to blow it away, or atleast rival it and ATI is much more open source friendly.

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.