Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

SuSE 7.3 On The Way!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SuSE 7.3 On The Way!

johnqpublic

SuSE 7.3 On The Way!

To all SuSE people be advised,Mid-October will be release time for their latest distro with KDE 2.2.1 and 2.4.10 Kernel with Yast2 improvements and others as well.

x0xCRIZx0x

Re: SuSE 7.3 On The Way!

Hi johnq. I was wondering were I would go to download the iso's for Suse. I've looked through their ftp site, but couldn't find any iso images. You can only run the live-evaluation for x86 systems, rite? So in order to use a full personal edition of Suse, i would have to buy it? Just wondering cuz i'm looking to try other distros, now that i'm a bit more familiar with *nix . Thanks!

johnqpublic

Yep,I believe you can only run the live evaluation CD for SuSE.I have never seen ISO's for downloading like other distros.They may be out there but I've never seen them.

JimH

Part of a readme on a SUSE mirror site regarding ISO images:

Above all we strive to ensure the high quality of SuSE Linux, and that it is as up-to-date as possible. In addition we want to guarantee the constant high quality of our documentation and our support, in the interest of all customers.

In order to be able to maintain this service in the future, as well as meeting the accompanying wishes of our customers, we are dependent on sales of our products and services, and must ensure that an adequate cost structure exists within our company.

For the purposes of testing and evaluation, we have made a great effort to provide a variation of SuSE Linux which does not have to be installed, and which makes it extremely easy to try out SuSE Linux or examine its hardware requirements.

With our SuSE Linux FTP version (SuSE Linux Professional, excluding commercial program packages, which we are not allowed to offer on their own for download) we provide a free service for all those who wish to install SuSE Linux via FTP.

x0xCRIZx0x

Thanks JimH, must have missed that in my search for the iso images. I actually tried the live eval cd last nite,but it gave me a kernel panic message. Not sure if I burned the cd right (actually first time I tried with xcdroast), so I'll attempt again tonight.

JimH

I never noticed before you said something, that SUSE didn't provide ISO images for Intel/AMD based computers for download. They must be the only major distribution that does that. At least they provide an FTP install option.

x0xCRIZx0x

Well, I went ahead and dowloaded the live eval last nite to give it a shot. Burned into a cd, and booted from it. The boot screen comes up and I press enter.."installing linux kernel"...nothing.

I cold reboot and this time I use text mode. Here's some interesting lines:

kernel BUG at apic.c: 2211
    invalid operand: 0000

And in the end:

Kernel panic: Attempted to kill idle task!
    In idletask - not syncing

Anyone ever get this?

JimH

Just a guess, but SUSE might have uniprocessor APIC support compiled into their kernel. Your motherboard might not like it. might try booting with: linux noapic

x0xCRIZx0x

Just a guess, but SUSE might have uniprocessor APIC support compiled into their kernel. Your motherboard might not like it. might try booting with: linux noapic
    Yup, tried that. Still the same error. I'm thinking of doing ftp install, but I haven't heard good things on it (even on the suse channels on irc!). Is the correct syntax

boot: linux -noapic

OR

boot: linux noapic

I tried both, in any case, and same error :-/

JimH

boot: linux noapic

Might just be a bug in their kernel that doesn't like your motherboard. I just did an ftp install of Mandrake 8.1 worked worked very well. Will look into trying SUSE 7.3 when it comes out.