Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

SuSE 7.3 ..

Thread: SuSE 7.3 ..

x0xCRIZx0x

SuSE 7.3 ..

..is growing on me. After using it for a while, I realize how user-friendly SuSE 7.3 really is. Also, I was able to successfully do an ftp install, although I couldn't for the life of me add a network source for packages, which made updating/installing packages a hassle. I changed back to DVD install (yeah, i guess the first failed attempt was a fluke) since I just wanted to see if ftp install was even possible.

To retort my previous post (i'm such a quick judge), here are a couple of things that made SuSE cool in my opinion:

- installing/updating nvidia drivers is actually easy. due to my impatience, i did not wait for the official suse versions to come out. i fired up online update yesterday and there they were. after a quick install and reboot, they were installed fine. Although you still have to change the XF86config file manually.

- never got it to work properly in mandrake, but printing in suse works perfectly. automatic printer detection detected my printer flawlessly, as well as printing itself!

- a small thing, but "post support query" is a nice thing. i've heard mixed things about this tool, but the suse support got back to me in 2 days when i had a question (w/c in my opinion is pretty good)

Although i still think that they should provide iso images (the ftp install is possible, so why not make it easier for people?), i understand the need for companies such as Suse to make money. And since they contribute to projects like KDE, paying them for the cds doesn't seem to bad.

So there, Suse is cool

JimH

Re: SuSE 7.3 ..

Although i still think that they should provide iso images (the ftp install is possible, so why not make it easier for people?), i understand the need for companies such as Suse to make money. And since they contribute to projects like KDE, paying them for the cds doesn't seem to bad.

So there, Suse is cool
    Personally I think we need to encourage Linux users to go out and purchase boxed sets. It costs alot of money to develop a Linux distribution. If we want to see our favorite distributions support us we need to support them.

What's the major feature differences between SUSE Personal and Professional?

Jim H

x0xCRIZx0x

What's the major feature differences between SUSE Personal and Professional?

Jim H
    Actually, I'm not sure. I received the Professional version as a gift from someone, and didn't know much about the difference. I suppose that since there are more cds involved, it would mean more programs. I would guess that the personal edition wouldn't have developer packages (most users wouldn't need programs like kdevelop and qt).

This might be an issue with those that want to try out programs that would otherwise just be in the professional version. If it's possible to add a network source in yast2, maybe it would be possible to install professional version apps (since the ftp install is pro version).

JimH

I thought the ftp version was the Pro version. I made boot disks and tried an ftp install a couple weeks ago, but couldn't find a mirror fast enough to make it worth a try. All of the SUSE mirror sites apparently don't support an ftp install. Will have to try it again when I get the chance.

Jim H

x0xCRIZx0x

I think the ftp mirrors should be faster. The traffic has died down since it's been out for a while. At least it didn't seem slow to me

JimH

I think the ftp mirrors should be faster. The traffic has died down since it's been out for a while. At least it didn't seem slow to me
    Good point. It usually takes at least a month for the RedHat mirrors to get back to normal after a new release.

Jim H

I very much agree that we need to encourage users to buy boxed sets. I do(sort of) but definitely will sell CD's(once I get the DSL going) from the site, but I do plan on making donations to the distros that I sell, I think that is only fair. Especially since all distros that I know of do accept donations(who doesnt!?). I think this should be a common practice as well among people wo cell cd sets only, although I hope eventually to become an authorized reseller of the boxed sets!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.