Thread: Nice theme ...

x0xCRIZx0x

Nice theme ...

Not really SuSE specific, but since I'm a SuSE user I'll put it here. If your into eye candy (and transparent menus), try out liquid theme http://www.mosfet.org/liquid.html if you haven't already. I didn't see it mentioned in this forum before, so i thought i'd pass it around.

JimH

Re: Nice theme ...

I've seen that one. I think I remember sending Aragorn a link to a screenshot. Looks cool, but I thought it wasn't being maintained any longer?

Jim H

Very nice, and ya you did send me a link. Wish I knew how to create themes....not that mine woudl be very good, but still would like to be able to create them and toy with them! :-/

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

JimH

Not really SuSE specific, but since I'm a SuSE user I'll put it here. If your into eye candy (and transparent menus), try out liquid theme http://www.mosfet.org/liquid.html if you haven't already. I didn't see it mentioned in this forum before, so i thought i'd pass it around.
    Did you try it out? How well does it work? Is it slow?

Jim H

x0xCRIZx0x

I haven't notice any slowdown on my system. From reading the developer's site, it's suppose to actually make the desktop use less mem. (something about widgets and scaling that I don't know about).

It also adds a transparency configuration in kde control center, so you can set how transparent menus are as well as colors. I once used a SuSE color scheme with liquid, and it was cool. Until I got a bit sick from all the green colors, so I went back to default liquid scheme :P

Me and JimH were talking about this in the irc channel and we found out that it is QPL and not GPL'd. Also that the developer is rather anal about it and hates the Linux community. I think I will wait for an alternative rather than use something from this guy! :-/

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

x0xCRIZx0x

Me and JimH were talking about this in the irc channel and we found out that it is QPL and not GPL'd. Also that the developer is rather anal about it and hates the Linux community. I think I will wait for an alternative rather than use something from this guy! :-/

Aragorn
    To be honest, I don't really care how he puts his licensing into his work. Besides the fact that I wouldn't know what to do with the source code even if I had it, the theme itself is nice and if it's distributed freely (meaning no royalties are collected from downloading/using it), I'll use it.

Come to think of it, although I may not agree with his views on the Linux community as a whole, I can't judge him since I have never been in his shoes. Granted that Linux and the community built around it is wonderful, but it is not perfect. But that that should be left for another thread

Cool! Has anyone seen any themes like this for Gnome/Gtk/Sawfish? I don't particularly like KDE and prefer GNOME for my Desktop Manager needs. (or IceWM for window-manager-like-a-desktop-manager with a small footprint needs)

gaxprels

x0xCRIZx0x

Cool! Has anyone seen any themes like this for Gnome/Gtk/Sawfish? I don't particularly like KDE and prefer GNOME for my Desktop Manager needs. (or IceWM for window-manager-like-a-desktop-manager with a small footprint needs)

gaxprels
    Hey gaxprels. Not sure if there is a theme availabe with transparent menus capabilities, but www.kde-look.org has one theme that comes close to the look of liquid IMO:
    http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=520