Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WOW! Red Hat 6.0

snowdog

WOW! Red Hat 6.0

On Monday of this week I had my very first introduction to Linux. I installed RH6.0. The whole thing took 30 min +/-. Flawless instalation. All the tools packaged with the distro were mind boggling. Truly amazing OS, and with sites such as this one and mylinux.com, the rest of my days will be spent (quite happily) fiddling with Linux.

johnqpublic

Re: WOW! Red Hat 6.0

Hello snowdog and welcome to GLO!Think you will like it here.Any questions post away.I may not be able to help as I'm a newbie(7 MOS)but other folks here certainly will.Oh ya,Linux Rocks!

mylinux.com? I get some kinda "The Domain Name Preservation Society -- Sanctuary" thingy?

is this the right address??

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

snowdog

Sorry Aragorn, the site is http://my.justlinux.com Crazy, beer and hot wing, fingers. My apologies to any and all.

JimH

Snowdog, if you are impressed with RH 6.0 you will really be impressed by a more up to date version.;D

I guess I am just going to have to try RH....I am hearing so many good things about it....I know when I tried it a few years back I didn't like it a bit...but maybe things have changed eh?

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

Ahhh my.justlinux.com...a internet.com website. Hehe I have pretty much boycotted them....they are the reason I created this site in the first place! Not that it is a bad site snowdog, we just have different ideas of how newbies should be introduced to Linux.

Aragorn

snowdog

JimH, I'm really pumped about trying RH 7.0 or 7.1, but for the next bit I'm going to play with 6.0. I love this whole command line thing! Trust me, I'm putting the new in newbie (and fun in dysfunctional!). 6.0 is running stable and I've got my 'The Complete Reference' and 'Linux For Dummies' books. I'm gonna have fun for now. But please keep the input coming!
    Aragorn, as a spanking new user, I'm always searching for new sites and material. getlinuxonline is now my home page (funny looks from my g/f). I really like this site. Newbies should be given all the support and advice they ask for. With all the tinkering I'm gonna be doing, maybe I can help someone someday! Wooooohoooooooo!

johnqpublic

Redhat is a cool distro.I have it on one of my boxes but have not played with it lately.My Redhat is 7.1,never tried 6.0.If you ever dual boot,another distro to consider is Mandrake.Seems most folks feel it is the best newbie distro and it is a good one.I'm a SuSE freak myself.

snowdog

In the book 'The Complete Reference' I got RH 6.0 and Caldera OpenLinux 2.2 I have 400 or so megs of space left on my really dinky 1.6G hard drive, so this weekend I am going to install Caldera. My god, in my first week I'm going for a dual boot! My very first install was Win98SE, but after a day I couldn't uninstall, so I fdisked myself into a purely MS free HD. The Win98 was from a friend so HA HA MS didn't get no 200Can$ from me for 24 hours of use! I have read some about SuSE 7.1..... looks good from the reviews.