Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Redhat & KDE 2.2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redhat & KDE 2.2

johnqpublic

Redhat & KDE 2.2

Has anyone upgraded yet? Did you get packages from Redhat or somewhere else and lastly,in what order did you install packages?

JimH

Re: Redhat & KDE 2.2

Hi John,

I installed KDE 2.2 on my RH 7.1 box when it was released. Works good except for the minor problem with aRts. The currently available RPM's are compiled on a roswell box. : It isn't a smooth upgrade and definitely not something for a newbie to try. RedHat apparently is not going to release a version compiled for RH 7.1. Their priority is bug fixing the Roswell beta, but I can't blame them for that, new releases are how they make money. I'm going to do a clean RH 7.1 install on another partition (I don't want to overwrite my current install) and re-compile the source RPM's, if it is possible to do this without to much work. If I can get them compiled for a smooth upgrade maybe we can get Aragron ( hint, hint ), to post them to the site. I will let you know what is happening.

johnqpublic

Nice to have you here JimH,little scarce these days.Think i shall pass on messing with KDE in Redhat as I have had some horrible KDE experiences.Thanks for the info and don't be a stranger.

JimH

Yep, in there current state I wouldn't recommend installing them. If you want to try KDE 2.2 on RedHat consider trying Roswell beta 2. I was just about to install it on a test partition and have a look. Supposed to be much improved over the first beta.

JimH

Well I decided to bite the bullet and overwrite my RH 7.1 install with the Roswell 2 beta. I couldn't just upgrade because I was using SGI's XFS journaling filesystem on my RH 7.1 install. So far it seems very stable. Had a problem with the tulip driver for my network card, but this isnt a redhat specitfic problem. The tulip driver above 0.9.14 doesn't work with my network card. But I reported this to RedHat, so they were aware of the problem and they gave me link to a newer rawhide kernel that has both the old and new tulip drivers. ;D Wouldn't get a windoze problem fixed that fast. Of course since the source code is available I could have just compiled it myself ;D ;D.

KDE seems to run faster then RH 7.1. Haven't played with Gnome 1.4 too much yet.
    They give an option for wine during the install now, for those users who want to run windoze apps.
    I installed roswell using the option for ext3, journaling filesystem. No problems yet, don't see any noticeable speed slow downs with ext3.

johnqpublic

May just have to give Beta 2 a try myself.What I need to do is start keeping a closer eye on the Redhat site as I wasn't aware they were this far along with their next release.Anyone know of a release date for Redhat's next offering?

JimH

RedHat never pre-announces release dates. Unless they come along a major show stopper bug, I suspect it will be out before Comdex in mid-November. I hope they will be giving away cd's ;D Got a couple of hats last year from them. ;D

Roswell beta 2 has been working great so far, except for the problem with the tulip driver. They just updated about 300 packages this week for roswell. I downloaded almost 290mb of updates last night. OUCH! But it didnt take long I did it real late a night and the new high speed connection has been working great. ;D Looks like it is going to be a nice release.

johnqpublic

Did some looking around at Redhat site.I saw 4 ISO's to download,2 of them srpm's.Over 2gigs with all the trimmings!

JimH

I would just grab only disc1 and disc2. Things have changed so much already, the source RPM's cd's aren't worth the download. I downloaded mine from ftp.free.fr. Yep, a french ftp site, but I was averaged 600kbps. Took about 2 hours 15 min per image, I did it when Europe was in bed. ;D Redhat site is usually sloooooowwwww. Might want to check out their mirror list.

600k a sec?? awww I want me DSL NOW!!!!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.