Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

RH 7.2 tomorrow

Thread: RH 7.2 tomorrow

RH 7.2 tomorrow

Well thanks to the gracious offerings of JimH I now have RH 7.2 and am going to give it a whirl tomorrow. I am sooo looking forward to it. I'll let everyone know what my eval of it is soon!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

JimH

Re: RH 7.2 tomorrow

JimH ducks and hides from flying objects. :P

Jim H

Well I said I'd give a review and here it is.

Since I can't install the sucker yet, not RH's fault though, all I got to say is the first few screens looked really nice! Looks like RH has a very clean install interface. TaDa there is my review for now! Maybe soon I'll actually be able to see what the system looks like! <crosses fingers>

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

JimH

Well I said I'd give a review and here it is.

Since I can't install the sucker yet, not RH's fault though, all I got to say is the first few screens looked really nice! Looks like RH has a very clean install interface. TaDa there is my review for now! Maybe soon I'll actually be able to see what the system looks like! <crosses fingers>

Aragorn
    Short and sweet review of the first few install screens. The RH 7.2 installer is a minor tweak of the 7.1 installer. The improvements they made to Disk Druid were nice.

I would like to see them add the ability to configure your printer during a clean install.

Jim H

Ok, I am now able to give a bit more of a review....I think I'll put one up on the site here soon as well....

RPM....the package manager is nice, yes I have used it before with MDK but it has been upgraded since, and been awhile so I'll treat it as I have not used it before. RPM's make it really simple SOMETIMES.... I love being able to just do a rpm -ivh or -Uvh and get it installed and everything taken care of for me. As well as the nice -e option that'll take it off for me, or so I thought. This was my first issue with RPM's I couldn't remove the package once it was installed unless I went to GnoRPM. rpm -e <package name> always said the package was not installed. So hmmmph well I don't mind using GnoRPM. Next when I wanted to install a program that had dependencies it gave me the files it was dependent on and not the package I needed to install, this forced me to use online resources such as rpmfind.net to find out what file they belong to. I found out later that I could use the KDE package manager and find it that way, but even that was a monotonous task. So that is it with RPM.....

KDE.....this doesn't really have anything to do with RH itself, but I got my first glimpse of 2.2 and I didn't like it. In fact I despised it so much I took it off the computer and went to Gnome entirely. But as I said since this didn't have to do with RH specifically, this is a moot point.

Stability......hmmm well of course, compared to Windows it is a dream.....but I had it lock up on me cold 3 times, 2 of those 3 within a ten minute period. When going back to check the logs it didn't have a thing mentioned, as far as the logs went I should have had a perfectly running system. This is a problem as if I wanted to report the bug, or wanted to know what to do, I had NOTHING to work from. This error logging problem definitely needs to be resolved. I think I found the problem with it freezing on me.....I enabled system sounds through Gnome yesterday and that is when it first froze....so I disabled window sounds and haven't seen a lockup yet, but it has only been 20 or so minutes since.

Install......the install was great! I think it was very asthetically pleasing, and was very smooth. I am very happy to see that a lot of Distro's are doing this, as even gurus(unlike myself) don't want to stare at a darned slack type install the entire time. Newbies could be scared off from the very start with an install like that.

Partitioning.......I did my own partitioning, but I tried the auto partition at first to see how it set up the drive. Even MDK sets up a seperate partition for /home, but RH did not, it have me a seperate /boot and a / and that is all I got....I think newbies who don't realize the importance of setting /home as a seperate partition should have their hand held through this....it isn't wise IMHO to have just one big partition inclusive of all things....but as I said that is IMHO.

Support.....the support is phenomenal, you have the RH people jumping all over the place to try and help people. Then you have people like JimH who does the same. I believe this to be one of the strongest points of RH and why it will continue to be a leading distrobution. RH really gives you that warm fuzzy feeling of the Linux community coming together and supporting one another.

Well thats it...I am going to keep RH on the machine for a bit longer then go to Debian I believe....we'll see what happens.

Aragorn

JimH

As well as the nice -e option that'll take it off for me, or so I thought. This was my first issue with RPM's I couldn't remove the package once it was installed unless I went to GnoRPM. rpm -e <package name> always said the package was not installed.
    Improper use of RPM by the user. You are not typing in the package name correctly.

Next when I wanted to install a program that had dependencies it gave me the files it was dependent on and not the package I needed to install
    RPM could do a better job at this. This is a real issue for newbie's.

rpm -qp --qf "[%{REQUIRENAME} %{REQUIREFLAGS:depflags} %{REQUIREVERSION}\n]" packagename

KDE.....this doesn't really have anything to do with RH itself, but I got my first glimpse of 2.2 and I didn't like it. In fact I despised it so much I took it off the computer and went to Gnome entirely.
    What didn't you like about KDE?

Stability......hmmm well of course, compared to Windows it is a dream.....but I had it lock up on me cold 3 times, 2 of those 3 within a ten minute period. When going back to check the logs it didn't have a thing mentioned, as far as the logs went I should have had a perfectly running system. This is a problem as if I wanted to report the bug, or wanted to know what to do, I had NOTHING to work from. This error logging problem definitely needs to be resolved. I think I found the problem with it freezing on me.....I enabled system sounds through Gnome yesterday and that is when it first froze....so I disabled window sounds and haven't seen a lockup yet, but it has only been 20 or so minutes since.
    Not an issue with error logging. Kind of hard to write to the log if the computer is froze. More then likely a hardware problem. Type of sound card?

Partitioning.......I did my own partitioning, but I tried the auto partition at first to see how it set up the drive. Even MDK sets up a seperate partition for /home, but RH did not, it have me a seperate /boot and a / and that is all I got....I think newbies who don't realize the importance of setting /home as a seperate partition should have their hand held through this....it isn't wise IMHO to have just one big partition inclusive of all things....but as I said that is IMHO.
    What type of install did you use? I always partition my own, I never would have noticed.

Jim H

I aggree Jim, whats wrong with KDE?
    Linus himsef has praised it and it seems to be getting better and better. I can't wait for Version 3 to come out, based on Qt3

as for the /home partitioning, i can't be bothered making different partitions, i just setup a / and a swap and leave it at that. But if i didn't have windows and had an extra hard disk, i would definitly setup my /home on the second one

(btw, ill try that rpm thing, coz i have exactally the same problem, though rpmfind.net can be handy for that sort of thing)

Just My $0.2 worth

Alastair
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

Ok...didn't expect the KDE thing to be an actual issue...but here goes...

It was very slow...as I guess was addressed in the upgrade to 2.2.2 but that doesn't come with RH and with a modem I don't have time to download it.

Very very unstable, atleast for me....I would be running programs that weren't even putting a load on the system and plop KDE crashes entirely.

Now I am sure that had I recorded the errors and did a search for them, I could have resolved whatever issues they were...but I like simplicity anyways....I disliked having to turn off so much JUNK...it reminded me so much of Windows...with the crap that followed the cursor and such. Yes I am lazy for not wanting to turn it off..but I think that stuff should be off by default and then they can turn it on if they want it....blech.

No it isn't the most technical or well founded of reasons for not choosing it...but atleast some of you will understand why, I hope...if not oh well this is why...

Aragorn

JimH

It was very slow...as I guess was addressed in the upgrade to 2.2.2 but that doesn't come with RH and with a modem I don't have time to download it.

Very very unstable, atleast for me....I would be running programs that weren't even putting a load on the system and plop KDE crashes entirely.

Aragorn
    Can't understand why it is that slow for you. You hardware can't be that bad.

Stability problem is might be X related. What video card is in that Dell? What programs were you running?

Jim H