Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

RH 7.1 and Mandrake 8.1 install problem

Thread: RH 7.1 and Mandrake 8.1 install problem

conroe

RH 7.1 and Mandrake 8.1 install problem

Hi,
    I got problem with my Linux installation. I upgraded my motherboard and processor to ABIT KR7A-RAID with Athlon-XP 1800+.

I was trying to re-install RH 7.1. It was working fine before the upgrade, but lost the floppy to access the Linux partition (W2K boot default).

Everytime I'm trying to install those two distros, I keep getting 'kernel panic' error message and the installation halted.

My machine spec:
    ABIT KR7A-RAID
    256 MB Crucial DDR Memory
    Adaptec 39160 SCSI controller

My guess is the HPT RAID ATA-133 that causing the problem, since the other devices were installed and there wasn't any problem.

Anybody knows the solution?

Thanks,
    Luis

johnqpublic

Re: RH 7.1 and Mandrake 8.1 install problem

Just a shot in the dark but maybe the kernel does not support ATA-133.Have you checked the Highpoint website for a driver?

JimH

The HPT372 controller is unsupported out of the box by RH 7.x or any other version of Linux. Only way to use your board right now, without using the binary drivers from Highpoint, is to disable the raid controller in the bios and use the KT266A chipset ide controller.

Highpoint does have binary drivers for the stock RH 7.1 kernel on their website.
    http://www.highpoint-tech.com

Jim H

conroe

To finalize the post, I thought I should post the result.

I was trying to install Mandrake 8.1 instead, since there's no HPT372 controller driver for Mandrake yet so I disabled RAID on BIOS. I don't need the RAID just yet anyway.

The installation went fine. Thanks for your help guys. I really appreciate it.

Luis

JimH

Did you setup Mandrake 8.1 to use software RAID when you installed or did you just skip RAID altogether for now? Using software raid it probably would have performed just as well as using the "hardware" IDE RAID controller?

Jim H

conroe

Jim,
    I skipped RAID altogether for now. Need more hard drive space to do RAID. That will be my next upgrade.

If there is no driver for the hardware RAID, I might try the software one.

Thanks,
    Luis

JimH

Well, it probably won't be too long before you see support for the HPT372 controller in the Linux kernel. Using the binary driver from Highpoint really isn't an option. Being stuck using the kernel version that their binary drivers are for, just is not an option. Especially when the kernel the drivers are for was updated for security issues.

Jim H