Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

RH 7.1 and adsl
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RH 7.1 and adsl

lelandmyrick

RH 7.1 and adsl

My great frustration in using linux so far has been my utter inability to connect successfully to the internet.

I've installed 7.1, gone through the internet config in the KDE desktop where I chose the adsl option and then set my dns info. When RH starts up, it shows adsl connecting no problem, but when I open Netscape or Mozilla and point to a site it just sits there and whirls away going nowhere.

What am I doing wrong?

Leland Myrick

JimH

Re: RH 7.1 and adsl

Did you configure a firewall when you installed? Maybe you are blocking access. Can you ping or traceroute any internet address?

What does this show:

/sbin/ifconfig

and this:

/sbin/route -n

and

cat /etc/resolv.conf

Jim H

lelandmyrick

>Did you configure a firewall when you installed? Maybe you are >blocking access. Can you ping or traceroute any internet >address?

I set security to medium (the default) during installation. When I try ping I get a 'host not found' error.

>What does this show:
    >/sbin/ifconfig

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr. 127.0.0.1 mask 255.0.0.0
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX Packets: 6 (all else 0)
    TX packets: 6 (all else 0)

PPP0 Link encap: Point-to-Point Protocol
    inet addr: 10.112.112.112 P-t-P:10..112.112.113 Mask 255.255.255.255
    UP POINTTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:1560 Metric:1
    RX Packets: all 0
    TX Packets: all 0 except txqueuelen:3

>and this:
    >/sbin/route -n

Kernel IP Routing Table
    Destination Gateway GenMask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
    10.112.112.113 0.0.0.0 255.etc. UH 0 0 0 ppp0
    127.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo
    0.0.0.0 10.112.112.113 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 PPP0

>and
    >cat /etc/resolv.conf

Nameserver 207.69.188.185 ###From ADSL###
    Nameserver 207.69.188.186 ###From ADSL###

Aaron_Adams

You don't have an ethernet card configured, according to ifconfig. You can use netcfg ( redhat's thing I believe ) or netconfig ( that's what i use with slack ) toconfigure it, or you can do it with ifconfig if you know the info to add. I'd suggest to just use netcfg, get it to find the device and tell it to autoconfigure it with dhcp, and everything should work.

JimH

Unless he is using an internal adsl modem. Look at the IP address that can't be right. Although have I seen some xDSL providers use non-routable ip's.

inet addr: 10.112.112.112 P-t-P:10..112.112.113

Leland, what are you using an internal or external modem?

Jim H

lelandmyrick

>Leland, what are you using an internal or external modem?

It's an external Efficient Networks, Inc. Speedstream DSL modem.

I think the ethernet card (built into the board) may be part of the problem. It wasn't recognized during installation.

I am considering going down to Fry's today and getting a cheap ethernet card and trying a reinstall of RH. Does that seem like the best place to go from here?

JimH

No reason to reinstall. Do you know what NIC is built-in on the motherboard?

Jim H

lelandmyrick

>No reason to reinstall. Do you know what NIC is built-in on the motherboard?

It's an SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter built into an ECS K7S5A motherboard (put the machine together myself).

JimH

Well, the SIS900 is supposed to be supported, maybe your revision isn't. Try this to see if you can get it working.

You will need to be logged in as root.
    Open /etc/modules.conf in a text editor, add this line

alias eth0 sis900

Save the changes and exit. Then at the shell prompt type:

modprobe eth0

See if you get any errors. You can see what modules are loaded with:

lsmod

Jim H

lelandmyrick

>Open /etc/modules.conf in a text editor, add this line
    >alias eth0 sis900
    It was already there

>modprobe eth0
    I get 'can't locate module eth0'

>See if you get any errors. You can see what modules are loaded >with:
    >lsmod
    It shows no modules loaded. Shouldn't there be an eth0 module loaded?

Thanks for all the help so far!
    -leland-