Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RedHat's Next Release (Post 7.2)

jmbrinks

RedHat's Next Release (Post 7.2)

I am a fan of RedHat, and have used numerous verions from 5.2 through 7.2.

I am just hoping that they incorporate a better RPM program in the next release. I can't stand the dependencies and the troubles of software installation.

Outside of this I think RedHat rocks.

nfallon

Re: RedHat's Next Release (Post 7.2)

I just did some research into installation apps for Linux. There is only one and it is very pricey. Unless Red Hat purchases the app from Install Shield I doubt you'll see anything better in the way of easy installations.

Neil

Better watch out, JimH will jump all over you!

Yet I do agree, RPM's are nice in many ways, but are also a pain and I do prefer apt-get. I seriously do prefer having all the crappy dependencies taken care of for me. Some might blame it on newbie lack of knowledge! Yet I disagree....just think they need to add that feature to it and the fact that it should say when a failed dependency does happen, what package it belongs to rather than just the file... :-/

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

nfallon

Yet I do agree, RPM's are nice in many ways, but are also a pain and I do prefer apt-get. I seriously do prefer having all the crappy dependencies taken care of for me. Some might blame it on newbie lack of knowledge! Yet I disagree....just think they need to add that feature to it and the fact that it should say when a failed dependency does happen, what package it belongs to rather than just the file... :-/

Aragorn

I didn't realize JimH was running RH. You may have just solved the problem I have been having installing Gnome Basic in my other post in software. I'll have to setup a box with RH and see if it installs.

Neil

Err, don't know how I might have solved it, but I'd like to know how I might have helped with that!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

nfallon

Err, don't know how I might have solved it, but I'd like to know how I might have helped with that!

Aragorn

It didn't work.

Neil

nfallon

Aragorn
    Conectiva uses APT, the automatic RPM packages updater. I'm going to install it tonight to see what it's like.

Neil

jmbrinks

Did you install it, and did it work?

nfallon

Did you install it, and did it work?

It crashed and burned in the middle of the install each time.

Neil

JimH

Don't know about an improved version of RPM, but I have noticed some interesting things from rawhide.

The next release will be Red Hat 8.0, not another 7.x. Some things it looks like it will have:

GCC 3.x as the default compiler
    QT & KDE version 3
    Python 2
    XFree86 4.2.0
    Possibly GNOME 2, will probably depend on how well development progesses.
    I expect to see Netscape dumped for Mozilla, although they will probably include it as an optional install for at least one more release.

Jim H