What did you wind up doing, did it get fixed, and did you still see the same results from Linux?
I was curious what he figured out also. I didn't see him post to the mailing list. I did see a post on Dell's support site about the e1000 module being broken in the original 7.2 kernel. I don't know whether the problem was resolved or not with any of the errata kernels.
:P Well...I guess...I've failed. It's not because of the linux installation. By the time I figured out the problem, I was completely submerged with the win2k network. It was logical for me to continue with the installation then to go back to linux again. I've gone a long way in tunning and tweaking the installation. Right now, I can get over 56mb/s with two NICs.
The problem was not the linux network performance, it was the RAID controller in the box. When I told you about the network bandwidth comparison earlier, here was some difference between the two environment. The win2k was running with the software RAID 0 set up for the hard disks. The linux box, (the IBM x350) then, was using a hardware RAID controller with disk stripping. I though it would give faster disk performance then the software RAID. No, it's not. At least, not for my box. The software RAID was almost twice faster then the hardware RAID controller. The controller used was a IBM serverRAID 4h, it supports four channels (56 drives). I have a deadline to meet. I'm going with win2k for the IBM box. I will re-visit linux with a similar set up. I bet you I'll get the same result as what I'm getting with win2k. I'll post it when it happen.