Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

What do I do now?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do I do now?

kyiu

What do I do now?

I finally got this fancy box up and running on RH7.2. It has 4 xeons, multi-channel RAID controller, 2.5GB memory and gigabit NIC. It's a dream box. I got SAMBA and firewall running. Everything is functional but the performance... is the pit. On a 2GB file transfer, a w2k client can copy to another w2k client in just over 68s. To the linux box... over 2.5min. I'm also disappointed. What can I do? Go to W2K? ..god forbid. It must be something wrong with my set up, right? Does anyone have any experience with the RH 7.2 server? Does it tuned better for a server environment? I'm looking for network performance - gigabit network. Will RH 7.2 server go a better job?

Ken :P

jmbrinks

Re: What do I do now?

Ken,

Using Win2K the file transfer took 68 seconds, and using RedHat 7.2 the file transfer took 125 seconds. At first glance this doesn't look good, but there are many other factors that must be taken into consideration to get a clear picture.

What was the load on the network during each of the file transfers? There are certain times during the day when network traffic is more dense than others. For example, if you use DHCP there will be a lot of congestion first thing in the morning from around 8-9AM because people are booting up and addresses are being alocated. Also lunch time and up to an hour before people start going home is always busy for the obvious reasons.

Make sure you do your testing under similar conditions, or in a lab environment with just the workstation and the servers connected to a switch. Check the results and see if they are different.

If all conditions were the same, I would ask were the same services running on each server. If there are more services running on the RedHat platform than that could be a reason. It could be configuration or driver issues.

Give me a low down on the conditions and I will try to get you through this....

JimH

If the problem turns out to be the performance of your NIC, look at the Readme file for the module it contains the configurable options to the module. Adjusting these may help the performance. Looking at the setting in Win2K may give you an idea as to the setting to use.

Once you find the options you like add them to your /etc/modules.conf. This is a space separated list.

options e1000 parameter=value

ftp://aiedownload.intel.com/df-suppo.../ENG/e1000.txt

Jim H

kyiu

Hi JB,

thanks for the Insight. The numbers I've indicated on the transfer speed was from the lab result. They were point to point communication between one client. All the NICs used were Intel pro 1000T. The W2K box were was slightly less than the linux box (2 x PIII, SuperMicro serverwork, 1GB RAM) softRAID 3x73G HD) not bad, ha. they both connected to a Intel 470T switch. The HD performance were not an issue. I have a software that can generate junk data. I tested it on the W2K box. I can get at least 60mb/s on a 2gb file. I've been checking the web on performance tuning. I found may paper on gigabit nic tuning. They were talking about standard Tb & Rb buffer size being too small. This kind of tuning configuration is beyond me. That is why I thought the RH7.2 server may be an option for a higher end hardware.

Ken

jmbrinks

Sounds like you have a great setup. If you have the $$ you may want to try speeds in the following scenarios:

1) Linux Server to Windows Workstation
    2) Linux Server to Linux Workstation
    3) Windows Server to Windows Workstation
    4) Windows Server to Linux Workstation
    5) Linux Server to Windows Server
    6) Windows Workstation to Linux Workstation

See what the differences are.

Also:

What about services?
    Which services are running on the Win2k box?
    Which services are running on the RH7.2 box?

Try talking to the Intel folks and ask them about known or possible driver issues that may affect Linux Installs.

This is interesting, I am curious to see the performance issues

Aaron_Adams

^ ^ ^ Me too

kyiu

These kind of testing matrix can take a long time. :P I've done some of that earlier in a all windows environment (in no perticular fashion of server and workstation). I found 30mb/s. is the max on one gigabit nic. if a 2nd client hit the server at the same time, the bandwidth drops to 50% per client. I'd a chance at one time to play with a commerical NAS box that was based on a linux OS. It actually ran equal to windows performance. But when a 2nd box hit the NAS box, both boxes had almost the same (30mb/s) transfer speed. Very interesting.... Some body can set up linux to performance. I think my hardware can do it. May be a different version linux is required.

Ken >

JimH

I've been checking the web on performance tuning. I found may paper on gigabit nic tuning. They were talking about standard Tb & Rb buffer size being too small. This kind of tuning configuration is beyond me. That is why I thought the RH7.2 server may be an option for a higher end hardware.
    Do you have the link for that paper? I will look at it and tell you what options to try in /etc/modules.conf. Unfortunately I dont have gigabit nic's try this myself. :P

I first used a Supermicro mb in 1995. Used it in the first pentium based computer I ever built. This same box has been running almost 24/7 ever since. ;D Currently being used as a firewall/router for my home network. Haven't used any of their mb's for quite awhile, but I have always been impressed with the quality of their products. I just wish they would start making mb's for AMD cpu's

Jim H

kyiu

What link? This link ftp://aiedownload.intel.com/df-suppo.../ENG/e1000.txt ? I've printed this out already. There are whole bunch of paremeters and default values. I don't know what they mean and do. Is there some howto paper on this? I did search on the NET for the paper. I didn't get any where. To bench the file transfer speed, you need two nic's and some kind of RAID system. One IDE drive will bottle-nick on the HD. I don't know the IDE RAID performance. Do you? A SCSI-160, 3 drives configured to a RAID-0 can give you up to 125mb/s. That's on 64bit/66 PIC bus. I can do the test if you tell me the parameter values.

Ken

JimH

Might try playing with these settings.

RxDescriptors
    Valid Range: 80-256 for 82542 and 82543-based adapters
    80-4096 for 82544-based adapters
    Default Value: 256
    This value is the number of receive descriptors allocated by the
    driver. Increasing this value allows the driver to buffer more
    incoming packets. Each descriptor is 16 bytes. A receive buffer is
    also allocated for each descriptor and can be either 2048, 4096, 8192,
    or 16384 bytes, depending on the MTU setting.

TxDescriptors
    Valid Range: 80-256 for 82542 and 82543-based adapters
    80-4096 for 82544-based adapters
    Default Value: 256
    This value is the number of transmit descriptors allocated by the
    driver. Increasing this value allows the driver to queue more
    transmits. Each descriptor is 16 bytes.

You will have to shut the interface down, remove the e1000 module, reload e1000 module with different settings and bring the interface back up.

Setting are based on the chipset on your NIC, look at the "Valid Range" and "Default Value" settings above. Default is already set to max apparently on "82542 and 82543-based adapters".

insmod e1000 TxDescriptors=value RxDescriptors=value

Just going to have to try different setting and see how it effects performance.

Only other thing can think of is trying to post a question to the Red Hat 7.2 mailing list, maybe someone on the list has the same NIC. I don't recall ever seeing anyone mention your NIC or any gigabit NIC. This is a fairly high volume list at times, a separate inbox is recommended if you subscribe.

https://listman.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/enigma-list

Jim H