Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Updating Redhat - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Updating Redhat

JimH

Re: Updating Redhat

You will have to add an entry for the new kernel in /etc/lilo.conf and then run: lilo -v

Newer versions of RPM add the entry for you. RH 7.1 does not. Open your /etc/lilo.conf in a text editor. If you only see an entry for your old kernel you will have to add one for the new. Example lilo.conf with 2 kernel entries. Yours will be different.

# lilo.conf
    prompt
    timeout=50
    default=linux
    boot=/dev/hda
    map=/boot/map
    install=/boot/boot.b
    message=/boot/message
    vga=791
    lba32

#entry for 2.4.2-2 kernel
    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2-2
    label=linux
    initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.2-2.img
    read-only
    root=/dev/hda5

#entry for 2.4.9-13 kernel
    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.9-13
    label=linuxnew
    initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.9-13.img
    read-only
    root=/dev/hda5

#entry to boot windoze
    other=/dev/hda4
    optional
    label=windoze
    # end lilo.conf

Easiest way is to just copy and paste the entry for your old kernel then edit it for your new one. Make sure the "label=" is different .

Then at the command prompt: lilo -v
    Look for any errors if you don't see any, reboot and select the kernel. you want to boot. Once you make sure the new kernel is working right you can remove the old kernel. I would use the new kernel for awhile before you remove the old one.

Jim H

Bogler

I had problems with the ldap files. Whenever i tried to install they complained because they couldn't see the files that were in the same directory! They wouldn't install! It was saying, i need this file!, the file was right next to it! What do you do? I tried removing files, installing one at a time in different combinations... etc?

What's going on? I can send more info!

Bog

JimH

I had problems with the ldap files. Whenever i tried to install they complained because they couldn't see the files that were in the same directory! They wouldn't install! It was saying, i need this file!, the file was right next to it! What do you do? I tried removing files, installing one at a time in different combinations... etc?

What's going on? I can send more info!

Bog
    How are you trying to install them?

rpm -Fvh openldap*.rpm

or

rpm -Uvh openldap*.rpm

Jim H

ypsi7267

Thats strange, do you cookies enabled? It needs to set a session only cookie when you login.

Might be a DMA problem with the older hardware and the 2.4 kernel. Try booting with: linux ide=nodma

If that doesn't do it , post the exact error message you are seeing and if possible a few lines above and below the error.

Jim H
    I found the problem. My sound card is a PnP ESS 1868 and the ide on the board was causing the conflict. Switched to an old Azteck Galaxy Washington 16 and all is well in the Linux world! thanks for your patience

Dan

JimH

I found the problem. My sound card is a PnP ESS 1868 and the ide on the board was causing the conflict. Switched to an old Azteck Galaxy Washington 16 and all is well in the Linux world! thanks for your patience

Dan
    Glad you found the problem. ;D I see Creative wasn't the only ones stupid enough to put ide on their sounds cards at one time. :P

Jim H

Bogler

I have upgraded the kernel from 2.4.2-2 to 2.4.9-12 and booted off the new kernel, everything ok until i start x.
    I am using a nvidia GeForce2 MX PCI 32MB. (it works fine under 2.4.2-2). when i startx under 2.4.9-12

I get

(II) Setting vga for screen 0.
    (II) Loading sub module "vgahw"
    (II) LoadModule: "vgahw"
    (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a
    (II) Module vgahw: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
    compiled for 4.0.3, module version = 0.1.0
    ABI class: XFree86 Video Driver, version 0.3
    (**) NVIDIA(0): Depth 16, (--) framebuffer bpp 16
    (==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 565
    (==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
    (==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
    (--) NVIDIA(0): Linear framebuffer at 0xD0000000
    (--) NVIDIA(0): MMIO registers at 0xDC000000
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVdriver kernel module!
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
    (II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
    (II) UnloadModule: "vgahw"
    (II) Unloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a
    (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
    no screens found

... towards the end of the XFree86.0.log file. This may be a nvidia driver version issue but i thought i'd run it by you.

Surely if the nvidia drivers work under 2.4.2-2 the same drivers should work for 2.4.9-12..

Thanks again

Bogler

JimH

That is one of the problems with using Nvidia video cards and their closed source, binary only drivers. Their drivers are kernel specific. If you update the kernel you have to update the drivers. :-/ Download th drivers for the new kernel from Nvidia's website.

[nvidia rant mode on]
    This is the number one reason I do not recommend that anyone use Nvidia video cards until they either release open source drivers or make the information available to the open source community so they can write there own. Nvidia = M$ of the graphics card industry..
    [nvidia rant mode off]

Jim H

Bogler

Mouchos Strangeness!!

I upgraded the kernel (again) to 2.4.9-21 and XFree86 to 4.1.0 through Redhat Update Agent.

I checked the nvidia drivers i need to install through the use of their NVchooser script, i found that the RPMS i need are both already installed and indeed the card works fine under my 2.4.2-2 kernel.

Here's where the strangeness kicks in.. under my new kernel (2.4.9-21) i try to remove the Nvidia RPMS with rpm -e --test and the machine reports that these files are not installed. I thought ok i'll install them (bearing in mind they are already installed) and yep, you guessed it, these rpms are already installed. So now i have X working under 2.4.2-2 but not working under 2.4.9-21. the files needed by each kernel are the same!?*

I mailed my problem to the Nvidai Linux forum and it was suggested that i install the kernel source for 2.4.9-21 and create a link to the source code.

I have a feeling that the Nvidia drivers work ok but only on the kernel you install them on, i.e. if you upgrade to a more recent kernel then they won't work.

It has also been suggested that i re-install on the 2.4.9-21 kernel using the tarballs, but i don't want to mess up the installation for my 2.4.2-2 kernel as this at the moment is my only access to X.

Erm, what do you think???, if you look two posts above this then the error i'm getting is listed there in my XFree86.0.log file.

Regards

Bogler

JimH

I just looked on Nvidia's website, and I don't see any rpm's for 2.4.9-21 yet.

From the website:
    STEP 3B: Download Kernel Driver File
    If you are using one of the distributions listed below you can simply download the appropriate file and install it. If you are using a distribution or kernel version that is not listed, or if you have an updated or non-default kernel, you must build the kernel module.

Jim H

Aaron_Adams

No screens found is normally a problem with the declared monitor you are using, more then the video card. I've had the problem before, and I had the proper drivers for my card as well. The best fix is as root, run '$ x86config' . This will let you define settings for X. You can choose the information for your monitor, video card, and default resolution settings, etc. If you want to change the information afterwards without going through the whole process, the saved file is in: /etc/X11/XF86Config

This is also the file that you can use to make your middle button actual work for scrolling and such.

At any rate, you should try that, and see if it will help. You'll probably want to pick Non-Interlaced capabale of 1024x768 for your monitor, even if it is capable of more. Choose the top options for your vertical sync as well. It's easiest to choose a basic monitor, as it is still capable of it, but you don't have to get into the nitty gritty specifics of your partcular product. I'm assuming you have a monitor that's capable of 1024x768

Let me know if that helps at all. ( I'm assuming RH comes with xf86config, I can't see why it wouldn't )