Thread: Mail clients (Balsa)

Bogler

Mail clients (Balsa)

I am trying to configure a mail client on Gnome on RH7.1. I have managed to get Balsa importing my mail from my ISP but only under root. This setup also sends mail but i get errors when i send (sorry will have to post these separately).

What mail clients to people out there use? Preferrably something simple to start off with, also does anyone out there have a good working knowledge of Balsa as i could probably do with asking some questions.

When i start Balsa as a user (not root) it seems sluggish and i can't get my mail from my ISP, it complains and asks me to look at my mailbox settings, i'm sure i have the smtp and pop settings correct as it works under root.

Any help would be greatfully received

Regards

Bogler

JimH

Re: Mail clients (Balsa)

Whenever I have tried to use balsa I have never been able to get it to function correctly. Try sylpheed would be the easiest to install on RH 7.1. Kmail is pretty nice,if you had KDE installed. I used it for a long time until Evolution came out. Evolution is what I use now, but it would be a project for you to try and install it on 7.1. It would require an upgrade to Gnome 1.4 on 7.1. It requires the addition of quite a few rpms just to install it on 7.2. I expect Evolution will replace balsa as the default Gnome e-mail client in the next version of Red Hat.

I think I forgot something. :

http://sylpheed.good-day.net/

I would try this rpm

http://enigma.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=554

Jim H

JimH

I just tried Sylpheed, it seems pretty nice so far. I would like to see them improve the filter configuration. I built a new system and did a complete re-install to a new hard drive, so I don't have Evolution installed again yet. Will probably stick with Sylpheed for a while.

Jim H

Bogler

Thanks JimH, i tried it and it runs like a dream. Excellent package.

Bog

JimH

Thanks JimH, i tried it and it runs like a dream. Excellent package.

Bog
    I like it. I have been using it since I installed it. Only thing I have found annoying so far is when you are reading e-mails and it automatically checks for new mail it will jump back to the default inbox. Hopefully they will fix this in a newer release.

Jim H