Thread: Adventures in OpenBSD...

Hybrid View

Adventures in OpenBSD...

Hi all,
    Since I requested this forum to be added, I figure I might as well be the first to post. I'm currently downloading the files off of the OpenBSD website to try and install it on my laptop. I actually didn't intend to install it, just thought I'd check to see if it had PCMCIA support while I'm between installations of Linux. (I was planning on installing Debian and had Slakware already on it.) I downloaded the boot image, dd'd it to a floppy, and booted my machine. Surprisingly, I didn't have to do anything to make it find my devices. It knew what they were and didn't give me any problems (to begin with.) I did have a little trouble finding the "eth0" device, but then noticed that OpenBSD doesn't name network devices by a device type, but rather a driver type. My Linksys was recognized as "ne3." A quick "ifconfig" and I was up and running. I got so excited that I decided to go ahead and attempt an install. Now I have run into a snag. When I tell it to "install" at the installation menu, I can get to the partitioning part. At first, I couldn't get it to get past that, but now I can get to a point shortly past the "change root password" stage. I also can't seem to be able to get it to recognize my cdrom (which is my other PCMCIA device). I tried mounting it as /dev/cd0, /dev/cd0a, and all of the alternatives provided, but it gives me a "device not configured" error. This is the same error I get during the install. I will continue to play with this until I either give up or get it right, but in the mean time, are there any experienced OpenBSDers here that might be able to help?
    Thanks for reading my LOOONNNNNGG post. I'll keep everyone here updated as to how my install is going and what I did to make it work (assuming I get that far)

gaxprels

Re: Adventures in OpenBSD...

Well I am interested to watch your progression, I've never used any of the BSD's myself....so I'll live vicariously through you for the time being!

Hope your not alone for too long...maybe some BSD'ers will get scrounged up somewhere soon!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

Spot

I have a buddy who's a *huge* BSD promoter (FreeBSD I think though), I'll see if'n I can get a hold of him to see if he can be of some assistance.

I have a buddy who's a *huge* BSD promoter (FreeBSD I think though), I'll see if'n I can get a hold of him to see if he can be of some assistance.
    Thanks

gaxprels

The Story So Far...

Hi all.
    Just an update to my installation adventure.

This is what I have done so far.
    1) I downloaded all of the files for my platform. (i386 family)

2) I got offline and turned on my FTP server for my local LAN.

3) I booted the laptop with the LAN card inserted (a Linksys 10/100 EtherFast PCMCIA)

4) At the prompt, it asked me whether I wanted to:
    I)nstall U)pgrade or S)hell

5) I chose ot Shell

6) At the shell prompt, I typed "dmesg | more" to look for my wd0 geometry (wd0 = hda)

7) I wrote down the disk geometry (because the install instructions at the site said I needed to know)

8) I typed "install"

9) I chose the defaults all the way to "use whole disk for OpenBSD" and later "disklabel" (disklabel is OpenBSD's way of doing a BSD specific virtual partitioning)

10) I played with disklabel (scratching my head the whole time) until I realized that it was virtually equivalent to Slak's partition wizard (during the installation process)

11) I typed "d a" to delete the "a" partition it created by default.

12) I typed "a a" to add "a" and chose to make it the recommended size as per the website

13) I typed "a b" and made it 32 megs (this was the swap and I have 16 M RAM)

14) I typed "a d" (never mess with the "c" partition. Just skip it) Don't ask me why, OpenBSD said so.

15) I continued adding partitions until I had a "/" "/var" "/usr" "/usr/X11R6" and "/home"

16) I hooked up all of my cables and filled in my settings for my network as they were asked

17) At the "Install from F)tp H)ttp C)DROM" prompt, I chose FTP

18) It installed all of my packages in less than 10 minutes on a 10baseT LAN

19) I removed the floppy and rebooted as per the instructions on the screen

20) After reboot, I added a normal user and edited the /etc/groups to add it to the "Wheel" group. Any users that want to use sudo or the su command HAVE to be in this group.

That's where I'm at so far. I need to do some more configuration and send the "dmesg" output to OpenBSD so they can make better drivers for my hardware in the future (and see if there are any patches to be installed, yet) But I'm pretty much done. I will play with the system for a couple of weeks to a month, then either re-install it (with only the packages I use) or install Debian instead. I also want to get my CDROM (it's PCMCIA) working. I'll keep everyone informed on how it runs, etc.

gaxprels

PS I don't like the fact that the "ls" command isn't in color, but I think I can find a patch for it. If I do I'll post how to do that, as well.

Sounds very interesting...different but similiar to Linux is so many ways..

the ls command, in some distros it isn't in color when you get it. Can't you change that as you can in Linux in your .bash_profile?

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

Sounds very interesting...different but similiar to Linux is so many ways..

the ls command, in some distros it isn't in color when you get it. Can't you change that as you can in Linux in your .bash_profile?

Aragorn
    Well, I might be able to, if it had bash. It comes with ksh, csh, and "sh" (though I think "sh" is just a copy or symlink of ksh) I need to look into how to set it. If/when I get my PCMCIA CDROM working, X setup, and color ls, I'll post those instructions here, as well. Once I'm satisfied with it, I'll see about turning my experience into an OMP for everyone.

gaxprels

Quick Update

I posted a message to the openbsd-mobile mailing list (at monkey.org) - No Response, yet.
    I posted a message at each Yahoo! club I could find - No Response, yet.
    I posted a message at the openbsd news group (just today, so no surprise -->) - No Response, yet.

I have scoured the OpenBSD website, as well as google and deadly.org. Nothing. I have a hunch that I need the kernel sources. I'm trying to cvs them, now. If I can get this thing to work, I will post what I did. If not, I'll make an OMP about how I got what I did get to work to work. I'll let you know when I'm ready to do the OMP, Aragorn. Well, I'm off to smell the poppies! (Sorry, an "Existential Blues" flashback) 8)

gaxprels