Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

I am going to try it
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am going to try it

Hybrid View

I am going to try it

Well I am going to try Slackware. I have heard so many good things about it, I am going to see what all the fuss is about. Since I pretty much have to revamp my debian system anyways(due to the ATTEMPT to install KDE), I am going to give slack a try then go back to debian unless I fall in love with slack! Anyways, I'll keep you guys posted on what I think of it!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

Panserbjorne

Re: I am going to try it

ZipSlack was my first distro...nice and simple. I'd watch out for some graphical configurations and stuff, but then again my Linux experience is limited. Tell me if Slackware 8 is good.

I sure will once I get it downloaded! Downloading 600+ meg on a 56k is a LONG and TEDIOUS process! :'(

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

Panserbjorne

Try downloading Linux .iso files when your optimum transfer rate is 2K :P

What do you think I am doing? Augh...it sucks so bad!!

Aragorn

johnqpublic

You guys need a cable modem,you guys need a cable modem. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

johnqpublic

Well Aragorn,its been a few days so how do you like Slack so far?

Actually I am liking Slack quite a bit except for a few bugs...I absolutely hate their install program though...that needs a complete overhaul, IMHO. I have got my soundcard to work, and I have my VCard working, but trying to recompile the kernel is horrible. I make the image, make a backup of the old one, copy the new one in place and run lilo, then I boot. Starts to load up like a champ, then BOOM, or should I say POOP....it just stops....nothing works except for a hard boot.....augh....same place everytime....augh...what a pain in the ARSE...I want the 2.4.6 kernel and they have the 2.2.19 kernel....nope, sorry not going to do it for me....so I am going to toy with it a bit more and see what happens, I am downloading progeny and seeing what that is like....it is looking promising!

Aragorn

johnqpublic

If you are using Slack8 you can use the 2.4.5 kernel that comes with it.The 2.4.7 kernel is out also.I have slack but I could not get my SB Live card to work.Tried to install 2.4.6 kernel myself and got a kernel panic.I am not using Slack now cuz I don't have time to play with it

I actually encountered the problem with the soundcard....Slack automatically includes it in the kernel, but the problem is that it includes it as a module, so you have to go and edit you bootup scripts to load the sound_core modules and emu10k1 module...then it works like a champ...problem is, can't even rebuild the kernel to include only emu10k1....I like slack..but the kernel issue is REALLY getting on my nerves!

Aragorn