Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: kernel compile

JimH

Re: kernel compile

If you are using very "aggressive" setting in your bios you might also back them down for the install.

johnqpublic

Well,I don't think I use anything aggressive in BIOS.When I built this box I start with default settings and go from there.No overclocking or anything like that.Just fine tuned things as needed.Anything I should be aware of?Sorry to take so long to post but had to do winders maintenance.YUCK!

JimH

Since you are not overclocking you shouldn't have a problem. Only other thing that usually causes problems is using memory timing that you RAM isn't capable of handling.

johnqpublic

Cas-2 I think,need to check that out.

johnqpublic

Well I am giving up compiling in Slack for the time being.Don't know what the prob is and tired of reinstalling.If anyone gets a new kernel to work I'd sure like to know about it.

JimH

I have a friend with a DSL connection, not a Linux user yet , I'll see if I can talk him into burning me a copy of Slack.

johnqpublic

That would be great!It sure is well liked by many Linux folks.I guess it is good except you do most configuring yourself.It isn't like Drake,Redhat or SuSE.Geared for more experienced users it seems.Something I am not! Only have 5Mos. Linux time.Recovering winders addict.I'm getting better and don't get the shakes when I see the color blue anymore.

JimH

We will see, he will do it for me I'm sure. I'm curious too see what the problem is you guys are having with compiling a kernel under slack.

Problem? No problem! We have it solved, yeah! It is impossible, see, problem solved.

;D

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

johnqpublic

Hey JimH,been a couple days.Did you get Slackware yet?Wondering if you can compile a kernel and get it working.