Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

kernel compile
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: kernel compile

Hybrid View

johnqpublic

kernel compile

Well I tried it again and no go,get kernel panic.Tried using Reiserfs and Ext2.Anyone compile an operational kernel in Slack?

Re: kernel compile

I haven't been able to yet JohnQ, but do me a favor since your trying....I think I might know what the problem is, atleast with your situation....since your crashing on reiserfs....on the very first question where it is asking you to load the experimental drivers, are you entering yes, even though it says don't unless absolutely necessary..?

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

johnqpublic

Not sure I understand What you mean but I choose "yes"for loadable module Support so I can choose "yes" for Reiserfs support.As a general rule I don't use "experimental" anything to configure and compile a kernel if I don't have to.If there is something I need to add to a compile let me know.

JimH

Hi,

I've never used the Slackware distro, what is the trouble with compiling a kernel?

johnqpublic

Dude, No matter what I try or do,when I compile a kernel in slack it never works.I get kernel panics and don't remember error messages off hand.It does this if I use Reiserfs or Ext2.Funny thing is I can compile just fine in SuSE,Mandrake,Redhat and Libranet even Corel!But Slack has been a pain.At a loss here.

I have no idea what the deal is with Slack....it is a real pain in the ARSE to compile...I haven't been able to do it successfully yet! Although I have now moved on to my brand new favorite distro....Progeny Debian.....this distro is really unbelievable...I can't even explain how nice it is....powerful and yet easy install, better looking than the mandrake install even! It was great!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

johnqpublic

I have not been able to get Progeny to install on my system.It freezes up at,if memmory serves me,at the partition stage.Not sure though,been awhile.In fact Caldera did the same thing to me.I see you like to play with different distros as I do.

Yeah I do!

So far my list include:

RedHat
    Mandrake
    Debian
    Progeny Debian
    Slackware

I have yet to try Suse, Caldera, or Corel.

Progeny locks up on you?!? That is strange...my install went smooth as butter! What are you system specs?

Aragorn

johnqpublic

Abit KA7-100(Slot A)
    Athlon 1GHZ (K7 Classic)
    HPT-370 ATA-100 non raid
    IBM 45G 7200rpm ATA-100
    512m ecc pc-100 RAM(Crucial Technology)
    Pioneer 16x DVD
    Creative 8x4x32 CDRW
    Linksys LNE100TX NIC
    USR PCI modem "Performance Pro" Yes,Linux does like it!
    Toshiba cable modem "Cuz I have the need for speed"
    3DFX Voodoo 5 5500 AGP
    Sound Blaster Live Value

My specs on my tear up system.I'm networked with 2 other pcs all connected to a linksys router.

The only thing I can recommend is switching the cable to a 40pin through install and then back to an 80 once it has been installed....I don't know if that will work though...it is hard to say...your system doesn't feature anything weird like raid or anything...so I have no idea what the problem is...Shouldn't lock up on you, that is for sure...

Aragorn