Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kernel compiling is POSSIBLE!

Sekihmet

Kernel compiling is POSSIBLE!

Whats with all the kernel compiling problems! ???

Whats the problem? I can maybe help since I have no trouble (so far) compiling a new kernel under slackware.

Re: Kernel compiling is POSSIBLE!

Well the issues I have is that when I compile the kernel, everything goes fine, no errors or anything. I then try to boot off of the kernel and it gets to random spots, never the same spot that would be to easy to diagnose, and then it hangs in the middle of a word or line. It is really annoying, any ideas?

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

bdl

Well the issues I have is that when I compile the kernel, everything goes fine, no errors or anything. I then try to boot off of the kernel and it gets to random spots, never the same spot that would be to easy to diagnose, and then it hangs in the middle of a word or line. It is really annoying, any ideas?

Aragorn
    What do you mean by 'hangs'? For how long? Does the kernel start to load and then just freeze up? At what point? What's your procedure for installing the source and compiling / installing the kernel? Are you using kernel-package and the 'make-kpkg' utility or doing it by hand? What kernel version?

johnqpublic

I to have had problems getting a compiled kernel to work in Slack.I get a kernel panic every time but don't remember error messages cuz it has been a month since I last tried so I'm going to download and try again.If I have a problem I'll post it.Funny thing is I compile in Slack the same way as SuSE,Redhat,Mandrake and Libranet and have no problems with those distros.

Hi All,

I hope you don't mind Sekihmet, but I used your picture because I liked it so much. I'm also pulling it from the same server you are, so if you wish me to stop let me know.

Ok to the real question at hand. Is kernel compiling possible with Slackware Linux 8.0. Yes indeed it is. It's the common process of d/ling the kernel from www.kernel.org then following these steps:

make xconfig
    make dep
    make clean
    make bzImage
    make modules
    make modules_install

Now you can only use make xconfig if you have the Tcl/Tk installed on your system otherwise you will have to stick with make config or make menuconfig.

To go a little bit more indepth on what you should do prior to the actual compiling stage here is a NHF from www.linuxnewbie.org that is very helpful for compiling and installing the new kernel.
    http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel...ernelcomp.html
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny

johnqpublic

Ok,I feel like a dummy but I tried again and this is the error:"server error, no screens found" I cannot get back into Slack even with a boot disk now.What am I doing wrong?My compile steps are:

1 make xconfig
    2 make dep clean bzImage
    3 make modules
    4 make bzlilo
    5 make modules_install

I've used these steps on other distros with no prob so I am at a loss regarding Slack

That is EXACTLY what I do to the T....I just can't figure it out. It is so strange, obviously there is an issue with it and there is a fix somewhere, I posted it earlier here on the board, but I'll have to find it again. It is a real pain in the arse!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

johnqpublic,

You did not set up your X server before you tried to run X it looks like. Slackware by default does not setup the X server, so once you have it installed, and you've compiled your new kernel or even before you do that. Run xf86config and setup the X server.

All in all try installing Slackware with either the 2.2.19 kernel or the 2.4.5 kernel that it comes stock with and get X running then d/l the new kernel and proceed with your compilation of it.

Now if you've already gotten into X then this probably means that you have misconfigured your kernel for your video display types. I cannot offer to much help as of now without looking at the options myself, but let me know how you fair, and will go from there.
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny

bdl

Ok,I feel like a dummy but I tried again and this is the error:"server error, no screens found" I cannot get back into Slack even with a boot disk now.What am I doing wrong?My compile steps are:

1 make xconfig
    2 make dep clean bzImage
    3 make modules
    4 make bzlilo
    5 make modules_install

I've used these steps on other distros with no prob so I am at a loss regarding Slack
    When are you getting the 'no screens found' error? Are you trying to run the 'xconfig'
    command from the CLI outside of X? If so, you'll need to use either 'make config'
    (which can be a real drag) or 'make menuconfig' (which I personally prefer). For the latter
    command you'll need to make sure you have ncurses and ncurses-dev on your machine,
    which shouldnt be a problem for the default Slack installation. At any rate, if you want to
    actually run 'make xconfig' you'll have to be in X, and depending on your system, you might
    have to do an 'xhost +localhost' prior to proceeding so that root can have access
    in order to actually run xconfig. Please post a little more detail as to the nature of your
    problems, I'm sure we can work it out.

Sekihmet

No problem about that animation SkyNet. Its not mine to judge who uses or not, and it looks really good, so the more the use it the better things will look. Unless of course everyone uses it and the screen could get a little busy!

Aragon are you booting from a boot disk or from the actual kernel on your hd? Just curious. I have yet to try the latter, as I always leave my bootdisk in anyways. I also used less make commands then you, so maybe the problem is somewhere within those. I personally do:
    Make menuconfig (config is a drag)
    Make dep
    Make clean
    Make BzImage

Thats it. Just copy the BzImage over and it boots fine. Sorry I can't be of more help with that, I'll keep my eye open for people talking about similar problems though.

Regarding John's problem with no screens found, I also got that error when I tried to run X on the Slack install on my laptop. Just did it today, and hadn't had time to look at it. I recall it having something to do with xf86config from a previous friends laptop problems. Which I see someone posted already, so that helps confirm it. Hurrah!