Thread: stupid clock

danvitt

stupid clock

I got a coulple odd problems with mandrake 7.2. For one I everytime I finally think I got the clock set it changes right back to what it was after reboot. I've probaly set the thing 50 times in as many different ways as i can find. After so it adjust just as it should and you can logout and login and everythings fine. Soon as you reboot it goes right back to what it was.

Second problem is I cant get the lilo/grub to save the changes. All I want it to do is to give me more time before it automatically boots the default o/s. I'm afraid to mess with it , last time I caused windows to become unbootable ( I know what your thinking but I need windows untill I can get a real modem)..(then i can really give windows the boot!) Is there way i can set it up to boot from floppy so I can mess with lilo/grub without having to worry?

JimH

Re: stupid clock

You probably have it setup right now so linux thinks the bios clock is set too GMT. Look in /etc/sysconfig/clock and set the line: UTC=false
    This will set you clock to local time.

Are you using lilo or grub? If you are using lilo, as the root user, open /etc/lilo.conf and change the line: timeout=tsecs.
    Replace tsecs with the amount of time you want the delay to be. tsecs is tenths of a second. Save the changes then at the console prompt type: lilo -v
    Look for any errors. If you don't see any you are done.

You can boot from a floppy at any time by making a bootdisk. At the console prompt type:
    mkbootdisk kernel-version
    Replace kernel-version with the kernel you want to boot. Example if you were using kernel version 2.2.18-3 you would type: mkbootdisk 2.2.18-3