Thread: Anti-Aliased fonts in KDE

carlywarly

Anti-Aliased fonts in KDE

Is it just me ? When I check this box in the KDE control panel, all sorts of apps crash, but only if I also use the marble theme. Console won't work, KDE sysguard won't, Konqueror won't, the app that gives you the window around an open application crashes..... I had to un-check the Anti-alias, because I really like the marble theme - sad.

Any ideas ?

( Mandrake 8.0, Athlon 750, 384meg RAM, Nvidia TNT2, IBM Deskstar 40gig, Plextor 161040a, Liteon DVD )

Re: Anti-Aliased fonts in KDE

I'm at work now, but when I get home I'll give it a shot. I'll be able to do so much more once I get DSL and I can be solely on Linux. PHEW!! Can't wait! ;D But anyways, yeah I will try the anti-alias thing when I get home, I have heard a few issues with Anti-Alias fonts, but like I said I haven't messed with them, I'll see what I can dig up for ya though!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

carlywarly,

What version of QT and X are you running? It seems to be a widespread problem actually. You need

QT 2.3
    ftp://ftp.rpmfind.net/linux/falsehope/pub/qt

X 4.0.2

You have to compile both with -xft option builtin and then you have to edit your profile to include

QT_XFS=0

That should get you Anti-Aliased fonts!
    Keep us updated.

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

carlywarly

Well, I'm using X 3.3.6 to get acceleration with my nVidia card. I'll try updating when I get the time. Thanks.

Actually 4.0.3 and 4.0.2 provide the same...I love 4.0.2, that is what I have on my system.

Aragorn

JimH

Well, I'm using X 3.3.6 to get acceleration with my nVidia card. I'll try updating when I get the time. Thanks.
    XFree86 3.3.6 does not support anti-aliased fonts. I don't recall exactly when support was added to the 4.x series. Might be why you are getting the crashes when trying to enable it under XFree 3.3.6.

Jim H