Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

mandrake 8.0  missing files

Thread: mandrake 8.0  missing files

danvitt

mandrake 8.0  missing files

Hello, I'm having trouble starting the install for mandrake 8.0 . I'm not set up for cd autobooting. so normally as with linux mandrake 7.2 I'll start from the ms dos prompt and go to d:dosutils\autoboot then type autoboot. well there doesn't seem to be an autoboot directory anywhere on my cd. I think they forgot or something and used mandrake 7.2's install readme in place of the 8.0.. i've also tried ....

"go into the "dosutils" directory and double-click on the "rawwritewin" icon
    insert a blank floppy in the floppy drive
    select "D:\images\cdrom.img" in the "Image File" field (assuming that your CDROM drive is "D:", otherwise replace "D:" as needed) "

that seemed to start working but i got: "error in exec of stage 2" then "fatal error in stage 1, not a directory"

so does anyone know how i can start the install from the msdos prompt? or is there a way i can do this while in linux?

thanks for any advice

jman_77

Re: mandrake 8.0 missing files

You may want to try using a different floppy to create that image. Holy crap, I tried installing Debian from floppys a while ago and I came across 8 bad disks. It's the most common cause of problems with RAWRITE and disk images.

danvitt

well i finally got it to work, but now i have a new problem. while installing the boot loader i get this error.. use of the lba32 option may help on newer (edd bios) systems. Fatal:geo.comp.addr:cylinder number is to big (1928>1023).

i scanned thru my bios settings to see if i could find the lba32 option but i dont have any. im using a kt7raid mother board with the soft menu 3

could this error be because of the way i have my hard drive partioned? what is lba anyway?

thanks for any advice

JimH

Re: mandrake 8.0  missing files

If your /boot partition is above the 1023 cylinder on your hard drive you must replace the "linear" option in your /etc/lilo.conf file with "lba32". This will allow booting above the 1023 cylinder. Don't forget to rerun lilo after making changes to /etc/lilo.conf.

LBA = logical block addressing, a method used with SCSI and IDE disk drives to translate the cylinder, head, and sector specifications of the drive into addresses that can be used by an enhanced BIOS.

In case your interested.
    http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/bios/modes.htm

danvitt

Thanks, All is well now. I ended up reformating my linux partion to get it to work. since when i tried the previous upgrade it caused linux to become unbootable. and i found out the my original problem was because the cd was dirty :-[
    . If you have any good links as far untarring and installing software would you please post them here. thanks again

JimH

Re: mandrake 8.0  missing files

. If you have any good links as far untarring and installing software would you please post them here. thanks again
    This is a tutorial that might help you out. Registration is required.

http://www-105.ibm.com/developerwork...E?OpenDocument