Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Thoughts on Mandrake 8.1 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on Mandrake 8.1

JimH

Re: Thoughts on Mandrake 8.1

In fact, they shouldn't call it "recommend install"..it should be more like "you won't know what you get install"
    LOL, or how it will be installed.

Or you could just call it "For those just learning windows install", heheh.

Had to get in on the automatic install, I hate those....

Aragorn ;D
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

jman_77

Try the 'expert' install... it's still pretty simplified, but it gives you a few more options.

JimH

Try the 'expert' install... it's still pretty simplified, but it gives you a few more options.
    Anything would be better then their "recommended" install. I'm just WAY past the point of "simplified" installs. I want it to ask me how to do "everything".

Jim H

Hi all,
    The only version of Mandrake that ever gave me problems with Lilo was 7.2. It installed Lilo at the MBR without ever asking about what to do with it. I was very irritated by this. (Yes I tried recommended, custom, and expert, all three). I am currently using Mandrake 8.1 and I love it. Expert mode is the only way to fly with Mandrake, though.

gaxprels

nfallon

Mandrake made up my mind to make the switch from MS to Linux. I think it's great. When I set it up I put it on a system with nothing else on it and used expert mode for the install. So far everything has worked great and now I tell everyone that I know with MS boxes to make the switch.

Neil

I think MDK is a GREAT switch from Winblows to Linux. I think after you get used to MDK you then can move on to other distros that allow you to customize a bit more. Yet in all honesty you can customize MDK the same way, just takes a bit more work. So that is why there are a lot of hard line MDK users, plus MDK provides a lot more support for their stuff than a lot of other distros, I think RedHat is the only one that comes close if not matches them in the support...

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

nfallon

I think MDK is a GREAT switch from Winblows to Linux. I think after you get used to MDK you then can move on to other distros that allow you to customize a bit more. Yet in all honesty you can customize MDK the same way, just takes a bit more work. So that is why there are a lot of hard line MDK users, plus MDK provides a lot more support for their stuff than a lot of other distros, I think RedHat is the only one that comes close if not matches them in the support...

Aragorn
    Most of the systems that I have tried installing other distros on are HP systems. For some reason they only like Mandrake. Redhat never installed right. BSD was pain when I tried it a year ago. I don't think the distro matters much. It's what will work on your system without headaches.

I do have Sun x.86 setup on one system. I had to swap out the sound card and the NIC to get it working properly.

Neil

I guess i like MDK, but only because i hav't tried anything else other than redhat 6.2

If i had the bandwith and spare computers, i would certainally take a look into other ones, but am hapy with what i have at the moment.

Alastair
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??