Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Compling a Kernel - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Compling a Kernel

BaerRS

Re: Compling a Kernel

ok...

I still have not been able to competly compile this correclly...

I am getting the fallowing error messge...
    FYI.. Ive done this now on two boxes.. and both come up with the same error. I am useing the config file that came with the current kernel..(except I change the Processor.. depending what box.. Pent or Pent III) if anyone would like to see the config file that I load after make xconfig... I can mail it to you if that would help.

gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i586 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -c DAC960.c
    DAC960.c: In function `DAC960_ProcessRequest':
    DAC960.c:2771: structure has no member named `sem'
    make[2]: *** [DAC960.o] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/drivers/block'
    make[1]: *** [_modsubdir_block] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/drivers'
    make: *** [_mod_drivers] Error 2

**** just a not on the clock issue...

the 'date' command will give me a diffent time than clock... Thats the main reason I moved boxes... I can move again if it would help you/help me...

Thanks for your time,

Scott

BaerRS

One correction.. kind of.. maybe I dont know...

I acculay do compleat the

make bzImage ... so technicaly i guess i do get a build kernal.....

the above error message comes along when I do a

make modules

Do you run make dep and make clean after you do make bzImage?

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

BaerRS

UUUUUUUUUUUU......???

no...

the papers I got tell me to run,

mrproper
    xconfig
    dep
    modules
    modules_install

is this wrong ???

JimH

I use:

mrproper
    xconfig
    dep
    clean
    modules
    modules_install

What kernel version are you trying to compile? Might just be a problem with the dac module for the kernel you are compiling and not something you are doing wrong.

BaerRS

is that

mrproper
    bzImage <- i forget it the first time too.. but Im sure it here
    dep
    clean
    modules
    modules_install

BaerRS

i did the last way... -- also one note now.. I am now trying this on a SuSE 7.1 (I konw this is Mandrake... but I'm still tryin to do the same thing..)

ok..

after I run thew the make serires ( as stated above )...
    i copy the bzImage to /boot bzImage.2.4.7 and modify the lilo with the name... I use all the same info except for the image...

run lilo.... & reboot..

then I get this when it loads the kernal...

USB Mass storage support registered
    NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET 4.0
    IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP, IGMP
    IP: Routing cach hash table of 8192 buckets, 64k bytes
    TCP: hash tables configured (established 262141 bind 65536)
    NET4: unix domain sockets 1.0/smp for linux Net4.0
    ds: no socket driver loaded!
    Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount Root fs on 21:03

I think this has to do with the ram disk... initrd in lilo.. maybe..

actually if I was going to take a swing at it...I think that you might not have enabled your file system in your kernel configuration....that is why it is unable to mount it...but that is just a swing in the dark...I don't know...JimH might be able to decipher that better than me...

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

BaerRS

I've been doing some searching myself.. and that is what I have came up with....

Like i said a couple post's ago... this box is SuSE 7.1 I do have a hardware based Raid 1 ATA 100, the box is duel boot.. with Win 98. And I can use it fine... the striped drive that is. my thierd.. (really its my first) in on the primary IDE as master

The stripe is on the secondary... master and slave..

BX6-133Raid Mother board...

it has two ide contolers.. one 33Mhz.. wich is 1&2 <used for cdrom

then it has two 100Mhz.. used for 3 hard drives...

boy we keep getting deeper and deeper...

JimH

That should be:

mrproper
    xconfig
    dep
    clean
    bzImage
    modules
    modules_install

Check your kernel config and make sure you included support for your ide controller and the ext2 filesystem. In reference to the initial ramdisk, if you are using one did you create one for the new kernel and did you include support for using initial ramdisks in your kernel?

mrproper
    bzImage <- i forget it the first time too.. but Im sure it here
    dep
    clean
    modules
    modules_install