Thread: Progeny

johnqpublic

Progeny

Yo,Aragorn,is Progeny using a 2.2.17 Kernel?I was wondering if that was true.If so just a tad outdated don't you think?

Re: Progeny

They have the option to use the 2.2.17 kernel, or the 2.4.3(I think that is it) kernel. I use the newer kernel because I don't need the old compatibility junk. But the old kernel is there for people with older machines who have hardware issues with the new kernels.

Aragorn

P.S. Progeny kicks major ass, I just wish I could get the whole CD issue worked out. GRRR
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

johnqpublic

Well 2.4.3 will work just fine.Would like to try it but it refuses to install on any of my boxes.You should try Libranet.It is a good distro also.

I might do that...What is Progeny doing...I found that a lot of people think that Progeny hangs up when it is in the process of running hardware detection, but it just takes for friggin ever.....don't know....

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

JimH

Bad news Aragorn, Progeny is discontinuing it's distribution.

Quote:
    Just over ten months after the release of its first shrink-wrapped distribution, Progeny Linux Systems has announced that it is getting out of the shrink-wrap product business and concentrating its efforts on its consulting operations, where the company has already reported profits.

As a result, the company will not release a second edition of its popular Debian GNU/Linux-based distribution and plans to offer a migration guide to help users re-merge their Progeny installations with Debian's current 'testing' release, Woody.

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/news/3837/1/

AUGH! Just last night I was actually going to go ahead and purchase my first Linux distro rather than download. I am glad I didn't now! I am going to look at RedHat then since you seem to praise it so highly! What kinda install does it have? Plus, does it still leave things up to the admin or does it take care of most things for you and you have to fight it to get it how you want it?

Aragorn

JimH

AUGH! Just last night I was actually going to go ahead and purchase my first Linux distro rather than download. I am glad I didn't now! I am going to look at RedHat then since you seem to praise it so highly! What kinda install does it have? Plus, does it still leave things up to the admin or does it take care of most things for you and you have to fight it to get it how you want it?

Aragorn
    I was thinking about trying Progeny also, just to see what it like. Glad I didn't bother now.

Let's move the RedHat questions to the RedHat Discussion ;D

Hehehe, I thought I was supposed to be the moderator here! ;D ;D :P

JimH is taking my job! :'( :'(

Aragorn

JimH

Hehehe, I thought I was supposed to be the moderator here! ;D ;D :P

JimH is taking my job! :'( :'(

Aragorn
    LOL, sounds like too much work to me. :P