Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Faster Startup time for Applications

Thread: Faster Startup time for Applications

texstar

Faster Startup time for Applications

Im not sure if you have been following the kde developers mailing list but there is a program that you can run on your intel c++ programs that basically does some prelinking and allows for quicker startup for applications. Some have reported a 30-50% increase in the speed at which your applicaions start. If you would like to explore or experiement then go to:

http://www.pclinuxonline.com/article...&mode=&order=0

JimH

Re: Faster Startup time for Applications

Hi,

Interesting, I read Waldo Bastian's analysis a while back. I downloaded Bero's prelink source rpm from rawhide will compile it later and check it out. Link to the article on dot.kde.org

http://dot.kde.org/996240227/

texstar

I tried the prelink rpm but I got better results from the objprelink.c compiled file. I dont know what the difference between the two but its interesting to play with.

jman_77

hmm.. methinks I shall have to check this out when I get home. I like KDE, but it's almost as slow as windows

carlywarly

I've always found this speed thing a little strange. A colleague of mine won't use Star Office because it takes about 3 seconds to start. This is odd if it takes 5 minutes to run up a document.
    I use an Athlon 750 ( very slow these days ) with 384meg of RAM on my main machine and a K6-2-500 with 256 meg of RAM. Neither one is slow IMHO, using mostly KDE under Mandrake 8.0 . I have used Windowmaker in the past, when I only had 128 meg of RAM, and that was fast, but as I said, it shaved, say, 1 or 2 seconds off the start-up time of a big app - that doesn't bother me.

hahaha! I have 933mhz w/ only 128mb Ram! But even star office starts up quick for me. On the other hand Word takes like 15 to 20 seconds to get its stuff together and where I can type, go figure!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.